Monday, June 18, 2012

Thirty-Six

Played 9 real holes at a course in Stoughton Mass.  Skins format.  Doug took 8 of them.  Id like to say it was my fathers' day gift, but that would be an outright lie.  Accuracy and distance seem to be in some kind of tension, except when you don't have either.  I was lonesome for the par three course after 3 holes. The Rick unwisely gave a stroke to the seasoned veteran and we both went home with fewer dollars.  We were all big winners at dinner, however.  Mixed grill: lamb, sausage, mushrooms, C on the C.  A splendid weekend, in fact, due in large part to The Rick's hospitality.  Starting to wonder about his golf coaching cred though.


7 comments:

  1. If you need a golf coach, I'll give Dell a call and see if he can help you out...you have 64 days to go...there is a chance he'll return my call by then.

    Sounds like you are in good company up there, I know it's not home but I am sure your time went a little faster when you were pounding balls on the course.

    As I posted on yesterday's blog, surprised that Bettis isn't representing day 36. I am enjoying the #/athlete search.

    - Marlin Johnson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly good company. Golf is okay, but with every swing I think, "man, I like shooting guns so much more. Couldn't we go scatter-gunning instead?" Dell doesn't get back to anyone in 64 days w/o beer, a party invitation or the promise of a day off. Right now I can't offer any of the above.

      Delete
  2. That's usually how Rick's set up begins: he lets you win a few holes until you raise the bet. Gritty competitor, the Rick. One of the best I know, certainly on the golf course. An even better friend, especially where lamb is involved.

    I rode a horse today, and not a metaphorical one. Big girl horse named Tank. Over streams and stuff. I tried to pass myself off as a character in a Bob Olmstead novel, but I think there's a much better chance that I just looked like a scoob. But it was fun, as far as riding sweaty, hairy girl animals is concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're wise to all The Rick's tricks yet we still fall for them. Unless there are black and white squares between us, then he is more or less owned.

    I once saw a girl I know manhandle a horse just as naturally as you'd leash a dog. True love ensued.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice work Dougger, atta boy!*

    i'm sore just imagining how many strokes made their way onto the score card. yeesh.

    *yes, that's an exclamation...point.

    The Rick, thanks for taking care of my peoples.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Golf sounds like good therapy. Keep your head down and swinging! Glad to hear about your game! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Horses scare me. They are huge and have big teeth.

    ReplyDelete