Fell asleep around 6, slept to 11:30. Is this progress? Since it was unaided, I think so. Reading this poet, Frank Stanford. The one upside of squiggly sleep. Can almost guarantee you have not heard of him. I wouldn't have either but I know a poet or two. It is really jaw-dropping stuff: southern, american, storyteller, conjurer, learned in myriad ways. And of course he shot himself. Probably the only cliche one will find in him. The work itself is sui generis. THE BATTLEFIELD WHERE THE MOON SAYS I LOVE YOU. Not everyone has a 20K+ line epic in them that ain't Homer, but you can let this fall to any section, read any line(s). I sorta picked away at it like that for a couple days and then the poem itself gave me the courage to start proper at the beginning. That and I wasn't sleeping.
What are you reading, or not reading, as the case may be? I'm not reading Finnegan's Wake.

I will go Reggie Miller on 31, since the NASCAR bit didn’t fly.
ReplyDelete5 ½ hr of sleep is all you need.
Currently on hiatus from THE GARDNER HEIST, which might turn permanent. Aunt was friends with the author, so I got shamed into reading it.
Still voting for Frank Minnifield at 31. You know Mighty Minnie, right? He and Top Dawg (Hanford Dixon) invented/led the Dawgs (vaunted Browns defense of the '80s). They could shut down anyone...except for Elway.
ReplyDeleteFountainhead: Ayn Rand. I had never read it. Are we talking about dreams? Mine: I am enrolled in a writing course with a tough professor. I can't figure out the narrative. Sure about the plot, then unsure about the voice. Switching halfway through. Deadline approaching, and he's going to dock me, no matter what. Can't find any paper. Lap top left at home. Wandering the streets of a dark city. Find a grocery bag to write on, but by now the narration has shifted again, and I can't remember if that's OK. Blackness. Then I awake.
ReplyDeleteplease dont read Rand. or at least use a borrowed book. I trust you will come to this conclusion inside 100 pp.
DeleteI am reading my favorite nephews Blog don't tell Nat.
ReplyDeleteJim Taylor. Offensive pillar, Green Bay attack, under Lombardi, of course. Rushed for over 8,000 yards. Caught 225 passes. Duh. Guess Donnie Shell would be a close second.
ReplyDeleteIce: I found this which you might find interesting:
ReplyDeletehttp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1008/nfl.best.players.by.jersey.number.00-49/content.33.html
Also, I know Donnie Shell. Donnie Shell and I worked together. Jim Taylor is no Donnie Shell. (I also didn't know that Donnie Shell wore number 31.)
Rod Smith wore number 31. You probably remember him as the Panthers first overall draft pick in the 1995 Expansion Draft.
Reading: Christopher Potter's Marker, LLLI's Making More Milk, Pinsky's The Want Bone (heavy, $#@%), my poem revisions ad naus, Kay Ryan and The Sonnets with Rex.
ReplyDeleteNot Reading: Wash directions on the shirt I just ruined, my Greek homework assignments.
The only number I'm good for is 54-46.
Glad you got some sleep. I am too quick too google, sorry no help. Glad I read this about ten times a day to learn soo much. It is a hodgepodge of quircky stuff! Thanks and sleep tight.
ReplyDeleteAs much as I bust my sister's chops about being a Met fan, I have to admit that I respect Mike Piazza (#31) as the best hitting catcher in major league history.
ReplyDeleteJust finished "A Hero's Life, Joe DiMaggio". You gave me the book about 6 or 7 years ago and it got lost in a move and I just found it recently in a box when we were getting yard sale stuff around. Joe D was definitely from my mom's side of the family.
Keep sawin'...............
Finally someone brings up a real game. Anybody catch that gem? Worth insomnia to have seen it. My heart is not in San Francisco, but my baseball team is.
ReplyDelete