A fair amount of info, I'll try to be thorough (and brief). Yesterday, you know, I did a buch of Lasix trying to pull off some extra fluid. One unintended consequence of micturating every half hour for 10 hours is you make Swiss cheese of your electrolyte profile. Cheesy electrolytes don't fly around here. No sir, not a bit. What you get is repletion, pronto. So, sometime last night after a very good day, was watching a body surfing vid ("Come Hell or High Water [4stars]) with baby bro. Repletion caused a harsh to severe reaction in your blooger. Best way i can describe it: being rolled up in an area rug and then dragged behind a truck. Several micrograms of Fentanyl and brotherly hand squeezing later, I emerged well enough to sleep.
Today I started out cannon-shot, feeling even better than yesterday (W: 2.91 almost a 3x kick, RBC: 25.5 small but certain increase, PLT: 15 small dip— plt production will be best and most certain sign that engraftment is complete) but as soon as the repletion transfusion began, out came the rug rollers. They stopped the infusion immediately, hit me with some Fentanyl and sent me on a hospital tour for Echo-gram and chest CT. Good news is echo was deemed beautiful. Bad news: something funky with CT scan. Definitely fluid, which is also heard through the steth but also some "opacities" which they cannot explain. And these folks are not happy when they cant explain. Most likely hypotheses: a)bacterial infection b)fungal infection c)consequence of extra fluid. Good news of the bad news is I am symptom free, no temps at all, feel pretty good, best in days. Head Cheese says,"I'm not worried, but I'm always worried. I get paid to worry" My take having known the guy a while now and being practiced a reading his words like tealeaves: It's probably nothing or at the least a consequence of the low period. OR it might be something, if it's something they'll figure it out an fix it. Fair warning: long long shot it could be PCP pneumonia, high morbidity, hard to treat. But unlikely as they have been treating it prophylactically for weeks now.
The Upshot: more tests tomorrow. Electrolytes orally in what is basically a nuclear gatorade (sans sugar)
There was talk of Sun or Mon discharge, still an outside shot, but that will likely be delayed.
BE KIND, NO BLAME, LOVE EVERYTHING.
Thursday, May 31, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
12
(108)
-
▼
May
(25)
- SWEET 16
- FIFTEEN
- FOURTEEN
- Thirteen
- All turnedout in my turn out gear and I have drive...
- ten
- turnmeon deadmen turnmeon deadmen trurnmeon
- Snowman
- seven
- VI
- 5ive
- QUATRO
- THREE (The Song of Wandering Aengus)
- TWO
- ONE
- The Ides of May
- MINUS ONE
- penultimate (T-2)
- T-3 (2...1...go)
- T-4 (metallurgy)
- T-5
- T-6
- T-7
- The big rock candy mountain
- Here is the Potter transplant blog. If you're rea...
-
▼
May
(25)


glad to hear about the boost. gladder to hear about your morning. gladder still to hear you had some high caliber company tonight and better yet that now it's only 84 days until we can go to Hardee's. Bad news is I think it's still another 100 after that 'til you can commingle with the Siertles. Well, Cindy and Larry at least.
ReplyDeleteeven better news → 256 days until the next Carnival (and i don't mean cruise), so you got plenty of train-up time. start painting your coconuts...and toes and i'll meet you in NOLA.
Sorry to hear about the carpet ride and hopefully this is just a hiccup along the way. Lotta love and prayers coming from NE PA. Stay strong.
ReplyDeleteGreat to hear. Keep those docs on their game. Make them worry. Tell them you know a guy that can fix anything if they can't figure it out. You shouldn't have to worry. I understand their quandary, who does not like it when you can't explain something. 2+3=5. Always will be the same. Sarah that was for your information too.
ReplyDeleteGreat analogy on the rug ride. I fully understood how you feel. BUT remember, I have to put it in perspective, that rug dragging would not be too terribly bad if a 90 year old grandma was driving the truck, rather than if a few people I know were driving the truck, it would be a freaking nightmare.
Stick with it and keep them on their toes!
Good news man. Really glad to hear you feel a little better.
DeleteOn another note. It is nice to know that I can now unsubscribe from dictionary.com and their “word of the day” email. Who needs that jazz with stuff like micturating, repletion, opacities and dragged (hell, I thought past tense of drag was drug) being thrown around. I even looked up “siertles” from Nate’s reply and got nothing. Then my dumb ass realized it was a last name. All these fancy words makes my noggin hurt.
The bestest news-only 239 days until the next Nichols Trip.
By the way, that Mexican tile in the rug picture is fabulous.
ReplyDeleteOverheard today: what's up with pollen? Where does it come from, and what is it purpose? Also-- about the ocean: so where does this thing end? Good to have insight and perspective, potter, plus big words. I'll keep my pedicure set handy. Clear? No. Something like: i left it in london or thats the same color as my panties. Just sayin
ReplyDeleteI could see maybe camo. Do they make camo toe paint? Real tree, of cousre
Delete