Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Ides of May



By what seems to be longstanding stem-cell transplantation tradition, the day you get them is your new birthday.  Day zero.  This sorta thinking didn't really pan out for Pol Pot, nor do we wish that it should have, so I'm not too sanguine about the practice.  Moreover, I rather like the birthday I already have (Sept. 15 mark your calendars, please), my APGAR score would probably pretty low today, and, of course, there are the questions about driving age, registering for the draft, and what constitutes a legal beverage.  It could create all KINDS of legal trouble for that cougar Heather.  Most of all being reborn will totally scramble my plans to run for US Senate.  But anyway, today is the day.  Sometime after 4 PM, they tell me.  The procedure is really just a blood infusion.  The cells drip from a bag into an IV line.  WIth luck they engraft, propagate, and give me a new immune system.  Something worth a cake with more than one candle.

Stay tuned if you are inclined; I'll let you know when the cells are safe in their new home.

Some transplant trivia:  I'll have a new blood type.  In a year I'll need to be immunized.  Next week I'll be fluent in German.  The red cross wont have me.  My old blood is under study in at least three major US laboratories.  My GRE scores are no longer valid.  I can continue my work for the CIA.

Talk to you soon.  Thanks for hanging around.

UPDATE: 8:30

2nd UPDATE:  So that's that.  Bag of what looked like V8.  Blew on it like you would dice at the craps table.  Nurse Katie hung 'em up and let 'em drip.  6.23 million cells.  One or two might have got hung up in the line.  No adverse reaction.  No temp spikes.  Certain sense of relief.  Day zero in the books.  Going back to wise 39.  Sleep tight my peeps.  Gonna try to do the same.  See in the funny papers.


16 comments:

  1. I will consider this a commercial break. Staying tuned.

    Give em hell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. The zero day thing is big in the world of cancer. I've heard lots of parents refer to their children as such. Day 23; Day 250. Maybe it's easier, that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. Congratulations on day zero, sleep tight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I think Cope got it right (for once), and no, not just with his new pic. So, out with it. What's your new type? Just saying, if you're shooting for O+ status, we might have static. That's sorta been my thing.

    I love you brotha, looking forward to seeing you soon.




    Ok, seriously, the rabbit/horse image still haunts me. Why are they at parade rest? Wait, they're not bound are they? OMG, they are? Is D. Lynch involved in this whole thing somehow? That would explain the fable. There’s no rabbit and no horse and thank G. no mud. Now there's just a mechanic in jail, and they have to let him out, ‘cause the blood-type thing won’t hold up in court. That’s it, right? Whew.

    Make sure you email Dell all the details, doesn't seem to be facebooking much lately.

    I’ll grab Jimmy (JAZ) at The Preakness this weekend and we’ll be up in two shakes…

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does this mean two presents?

    ReplyDelete
  6. New type won't be known until such time as the cell engraft. And then there's always the chance I stay O-pos. The universal donor, as it were. Cope, I love the pic. and you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lut, I think you have to go with two. You want the new guys to feel welcome and part of the team, but you also dont want the old guys to feel left out leading to resentment. Has to be two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are there any side effects to being German? Like are you suddenly terrified of inflation?

    ReplyDelete
  9. no, but enjoy techno dance much more, and rules

    ReplyDelete
  10. And the Spanish coast (mit the Spaniards).

    So, like, did you get the e-card I sent for your new birthday? (sounds like you're a bit skeptical of the whole idea, but I know how you love an e-card) Feliz Cumple+1.

    That update?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, Sprokets. C'mon Cope: touch my monkey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 6.23 million cells? Did you feel bloated afterward? The new birthday thing kinda knocks the hell out of my yearly dig about how much older you are than me and we graduated together. I will let Dana's Aunt Helga know about my German friend and I am sure she would welcome you into her house to talk about your heritage.

    Nate...leave the horse and rabbit thing alone. It's over...I hope.

    CJ..thoughts and prayers from everyone on this end. Take Care.

    - D. Stiber

    ReplyDelete
  13. ps did you get to pilfer any tools from the box of Carlos Fuentes (RIP) or does it not work like that?

    and I was looking for a metaphysical poem for this most metaphysical of occasions but turns out they're all about god.

    ReplyDelete
  14. pps, might want to keep an eye on Lut, cjp.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes Potter, the Ides of May have past us. I am glad you keep Shakespeare in my world.

    Tons of concern and questions from Caitlin and myself. I bet you slept better than me, too much on my mind.
    I can't let the horse and rabbit picture alone. It is cool. It helps keep my mind strong and alive.
    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes exactly, I think departing souls (Fuetes, that Old Gringo) leave their gifts to the (RE-?)entering

    Dave Stiber, nostril flared.

    Lut too quick to watch, just have to gird against what befalls.

    The real JAZ would have Ricky Rudd profile picture

    ReplyDelete