Sunday, January 20, 2013

In our 40's

H cleaning something, someplace found this little gem.  May 1990, Carlisle PA.  Denim shirt? Check. Collegiate ball caps?  Triple check.  Bud Dry?  What the. . .  I think the 40's were malt liquor.  Does anything else come in 40oz doses?  No pizza guys were roughed up in capturing this picture.  No Sheets Dogs (2/$1.00) embezzled.  Maybe some Sega hockey, more than that I cannot, will not say.



Notes on the programming:  This is called no rest days.  Hard but not as bad as it sounds.  I know, I know, been around this barn before.  Just want to make sure.  We do something every day.  Every day.  In general we follow the main site.  Three on, one off.  M.S. off days we try to achieve some sort of "active recovery."  Light load, super strict movement standards.  Concentric actions only if possible.  Rowing, Sled pulling/pushing e.g.  Followed by mobility work, stretching, maybe an odd skill session.  Yesterday, a "rest" day, I did a semi-hot 2k row (7:59) and then a loping 2k.  Took the voodoo floss and the foam roller to lower legs until I wanted to cry.  Called it a day.  Matt really believes in the sled work and I do too, but I'm captain of the USS Potter and it looks like I might have to go down with it.  So active recovery has been code for rowing for me in Jan.  When this godforsaken, lightless, barren month is over with, I'll be a sled guy again.  The idea is to do a touch of something and don't just go through the motions.  Obviously, hard mobility work is strongly encouraged.  The thought behind the concentric stuff is you dont get sore.  Done well it really can aid recovery.  Exercise version of the hair of the dog.

On full training days we do this:  10-20 min warm up.  (yep, rowing for me)  I don't stop until im actively sweating and quite warm.  Quick mobility, checking important ranges of motion.  You know your own bugbears, address them.  I usually work on ankles and lower leg, do 10 to a dozen strict wall-facing squats and spend sometime upside down.  Finally, I get comfortable with the wod movements that day, whatever they are.

After the warm up we start every sesh (excepting Heavy days like 1-1-1-1 or 5-5-5-5) with 2 x 5 of a Wide leg box squat and a bench press or a Dead lift and a shoulder press.  We do these with a weight that we can control with exaggerated deliberation and perfect form but which also probably couldn't be done for a 6 certainly not a 7th rep.  In the second set we come down 10% and do it again.  Short, taxing, maximum attention to form.  The versions of the lifts change session to session, banded, deficit, push etc. The next time that particular version of the lift comes up, try to bump up 5 pounds.  It can take a while to get these weights sorted out.  Be patient, write them down. Today, for instance I did 2x5 DL at 225, very slowly.  I didn't drop weight in the second set b/c it was too easy.  225 again felt about right.  Next time conventional dead comes up, I'll try 235 or 40 for the first five.  Bench went 155 then 145 and it felt right.  I had my doubts to begin.  I doubt everything. But I think there's something to it.  The box squat especially is quite demanding and almost everyone could use the reps at lightish loads to perfect that movement.

Often we will do a ten minute skill piece next.  Muscle ups, DU's, anything that can benefit from true practice.  Don't scald yourself, just practice.  Set a timer and practice.

Sadly, it is time to wod.   Do it.  Work hard.  Keep your movement standards and your intensity up.

If you have anything left, ab training never hurt anyone.  Lots of times we skip the skill session.  Lots of times we don't.  We probably need to be a little more diligent about the ab training, but lately it's seemed the wods took decent care of core training for us.  When the wod calls for a heavy lifting day. We scrap the template and train HEAVY as we can as long as we can.  Save your spinal fluid.  Do the heavy days right and you will need it.

TODAY:  dumbbell snatches/GHD/T2B.  Three rounds.  I allowed myself power snatches followed by one-armed OHS when needed.  I needed them early in the first round, figuring the balance out, and again late in the third round looking for a place to hide. Did enough smooth and legit true squat snatches to be happy about.  They are much faster but risk much sloppiness.  Be careful with your shoulders.  17:54.  Badass Dawn didn't back down from the 35 lb dumb.  Totally impressive and with a "women's" weight she would have dusted me.  20 and change.

If you have 88k or more meters in your logbook you are pulling your weight.  If you don't, you are not.  You all struck me as rugged can-do types who would cut off a finger before not simply doing your fair share.  The bright light of our star rower is illuminating smooth skin where one might fairly expect to see some calluses.  I have this daydream of all of us faced with another's mother, arms full of groceries, laundry whatever.  You know, and we look at said women in her 60's (the new 30's BTW) clearly working and we go. . .What?  Good luck with that Mrs. Copeland.  Looks heavy.  Is that what we do?

Sorry for playing the mom card.  Fucking ROW would ya?

Sorry for the F-bomb.  No Im not.

Now I got a job, but it don't pay.  I need new clothes.  I need somewhere to stay


16 comments:

  1. 2014m warm up. 8:04

    5k. 21:40

    1010m cool down. 4:24

    Happy now, Capt. Ahab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Showed the picture to C. She ID'd the participants and location. Then she broke up with me.

    Split jerk singles. Went more in line with the staying at a heavy weight across the wod. 165-175-185-195-195-195-195. I actually thought I would end up at 175 or maybe 185. 185 was doable with good form. So of course i went to 195.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you went ahead and brought the espresso machine up from the basement, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was feeling good about my 19:56.6 5k Friday night. Had a full helping of Potter guilt in my Saturday morning shake, planned on a late day semi-hot row to do my part. Unfortunately, while cutting wood Saturday morning a log fell on me and pinned me to the ground, bruising my elbow, ego and knee and a little MCL damage for good measure. Needless to say I'm out team. Good luck dealing with Coach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rowing high, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why are we on pacific time?

    ReplyDelete
  7. gives us more time to row. Critical late game injury will demand that we dig deep, team. Your daily number is 4400m. You can do it. WE can do it. One million. Copeland, post your meters, pretty please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uh... Shit, if its that easy, my MCL is broke too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I scaled the dumbbell snatches/GHD/TTB to something that would work the 5-10 minute range. So I went with 20 lb dumbells, situps for GHDs and TTB cut to 10. Goal was 10 minutes, came in at 9:46. I think the first round may have been the slowest, then I learned not to drop the hips before the snatch and everything went much better. I also found out that I can do from 10-13 dumbbell snatches before I have to stop and take a breath. I expect that information to come in very handy some day. As I expected the TTB were the rate limiting step in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 5016m last night - 26:37. Started out at about a 4:00/500 pace but worked it down as my knee warmed and loosened up a little. I'm not out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HEY TEAM! WHAT A TEAM. We could actually do this. We are just a stroke or two under pace. (Despite the southerners happily letting others do for them while bemoaning guv'mint interference.) Put your back into it. We CAN do this. One Million. Today's target is 88K

    Yesterday i scaled the main site tests, so as to have something to work on rather than three failures at each event, plus I was starting to feel kinda punky. Tuck sit: :37, HS hold: 1:30, weighted reg pull up with kip: 40lb, Snatch: 115

    Today I was flat sick, headache cough fever. blech. 10K very slowly

    Naughton's not out. Long live Naughton. 4032 is your daily number.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 500 m swim warm up

    Cindy 8 rounds, 10 push ups

    Nate, Travis and Brad made me look like i was doing it underwater.

    Not proud. At all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1,351m even up/warm up (5:30am)
    Cindy: 16rds + 10 push ups (6:00am)
    10,000m (6:00pm)

    I'm good for 140k. not one meter more.

    rowing hurt? friggin' guilty catholics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I'm just going to pause on that for a minute: a 16+ round cindy in the morning and a 10k in the afternoon. What are you? Linda Potter's son?

      Delete
    2. Seriously Nate? 16 round Cindy plus that rowing? And you were worried about conditioning in the water. I believe i would spend a lot more time on the beach than you would.

      Rest day yesterday, some hip/posterior mobility and some wood splitting- focus was on form since it was a rest day. Shooting for health lifts or front squats tonight
      Would prefer health lifts, just because i like saying health lifts, and then i could say health lifts again.

      Delete
  14. 5048m - 25:33...may have pushed the knee a little hard...more of a limp today but it's better than the guilt...

    21-15-9: Dips/Sit ups/Ring rows...not for time

    Lut makes a good point..I just figured it out as I am a little slow...Linda is the kingpin behind this...CJ is just the face.

    ReplyDelete