Sunday, March 3, 2013

parking only, no loitering

A) 30 muscle up to forward rolls for time
I messed around with a ring forward roll.  I can do them.  They are a tad dizzying and there is a good bit of core work to them.  I scaled back to just 30 MU's for time.  The deal breaker was the rings for muscle ups are over concrete and not next to, but close enough to a rack of dumbbells.  I had a brief vision of disaster and knew risk would be mitigated by cutting out the forward roll.  Though I did practice it.  This is the first time I've tried 30mu/FT in ages.  My time for 15 mu/FT was okay.  Started with a triple and then did doubles until 18.  Last 12 were a real battle, lots of misses, lots of time.  Matt was rx'd in just over 10.  D: 20 mu in 20 or 25 minutes.  Me: 27:46



B) 3 RFT:  200m run/100m lunge step/50 squats
First time I have run in easily 18mos.  Yep.  No running, year and a half.  Really wanted to finish this in less than 20.  You basically fill your quads and glutes with blood and lactic acid and then dare yourself to move.  Had severe jelly leg for hours after and then odd twitches and spasms well into the next day.  D absolutely scorched this, it was impressive and maddening to watch.  It is rumored she does squats at home, for fun. Extra-work is the legal performance enhancing drug, 13 and change.  Matt, rehabbing back and all, 15 and change.  CJP: 19:38 + shin splints
Lancaster Costco



C) 30min AMRAP: rope climbs/pushups
Saw a mainsite post that suggested one climb and 10 pushups until such time that the plan needed reconsideration.  Seemed as good as anything I could come up with, so that's what i did.  I had to learn a new foot trap on the fly b/c rope against my cratered leg was EXCRUCIATING.  So I learned a new foot trap and eh, whaddaya know.  I like it and it's faster.  And it's better (for me) on the way down.  I had no idea what to expect or demand of myself.  Haven't climbed a rope for a very long time.  In late rounds I probably could have goosed my rope climb total doing them in between sets of 5 pushups.  But i was in a groove so just hung with it.  5-shake the arms-5 more.  The rope got dangerouser as the reps piled up.  After five climbs and 50 push ups I took a peek at the clock figuring we were half way through and 10 and 10 would be a goal.  I was quite discouraged to see 22 minutes remaining.  Okay, that means I gotta get 20.  Time expired half way up the rope of my 21st climb.  I finished it out just because.  Only a crazy person would believe that.  Matt had 30 climbs and just shy of 300 push ups.  D had I think 27 climbs and 280 pushes.  20 climbs for me and 200 push ups.  good, fun training.

I'll take those flannel zebra jammies

11 comments:

  1. So Discovery has Shark Week and Nat Geo, Big Cat Week. Last week was my Cheesesteak Week©. its so easy to not work out during cheesesteak week. and has anyone come across these Limited Edition Mega Stuff Oreos™. Uh, proceed with great caution. Yea, though I walk through the valley of thinly sliced ribeye, I'm putting my prodigal ways behind thee (me). I'll be boarding/disembarking a wagon, though i'm uncertain re. the details of off vs. on. As evidence of my recent leaf-turning, i humbly submit this offering:

    Power clean 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps
    NP-200#
    BC-200#
    then
    Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 12 minutes of:
    50 Squats
    30 Push-ups
    15 Pull-ups
    NP-3+0
    BC-2+0

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Hi my name is Nathan and I'm a sporadic exerciser" Hi, Nathan.

    2-bill power clean gets you back in the club pretty fast. I bet BC bent his arms before jumping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pre-cheesesteak week mass ≈ 175

      must demonstrate the bar motionless and under control

      Delete
    2. You're supposed to jump?

      Delete
  3. From USAW Technical Rules, "Incorrect movements for the jerk" 1.7.2 Any deliberate oscillation of the barbell to gain advantage. The athlete and
    the barbell have to become motionless before starting the jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. goodness gracious. 19:45 is my PR. Dunno how I could go 1:04 faster. Trying to beat Naughton was the closest I could get.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 12-9-6-3 reps for time of:
    75 pound Power snatch
    Burpee
    5:05

    ReplyDelete
  6. if you're so inclined, do register for the Open. The personal leader board might be fun. 'Course you'll have to do the wod too. I'll be doing it Sat AM at Chupacabra. Maybe make a plan to join us some Sat. in the next 5 wks. That would be splendid. Let us know your plans...

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I am offending anyone here my feelings will not be hurt if told to keep silent for 10 more months. Really.

    1 min each station then 1 min rest, 3x
    front squat 63#
    pushup (knee. yes I listened to CJP and watched KStar on stupidity of knee pushups but can only do 5, yes working on them)
    KB swing 35#
    pullup (red band)
    155 reps

    HSC 3-3-3-3-3-3-3 83#
    30 HSC 53#
    800 row
    30 pullup (red band)
    13:06

    ReplyDelete
  8. good training. I think the best progression for push ups is an elevated pushing platform. A wall push up would be the easiest (feet farther away from wall= harder) the lower your pushing surface the harder the push up. most people can manage a handful on a 24" or 30" box. as one is able to complete wods and sets at that height, subsequent rounds are at lower levels. The other thing to sprinkle in there is full depth push ups with your arms in a band contraption that will unload your shoulders. The general principle for most gymnastic/BW movements is to build strength, practice proper recruitment patterns (box push ups) AND range of motion (banded). Once you have a few full, unassisted reps move to ladder rep schemes, (so called "greasing the groove" hereafter, GTG) EG: 1-2-3-2-1 Then 1-2-4-3-1 Then 2-2-4-3-2 etc. If it's any consolation, i am in the middle of this exact approach with pistols. I mainly practice sets to a parallel box, and the box is getting lower, but yesterday i did wod pistols at full depth with assist from a band I could pull on to get out of the hole. I have some semi-serious neurological/recruitment/vestibular stuff going on b/c of radiation and what-all. I have to re-learn some things that I dont remember learning at all to begin with, ie they came very naturally to me. I dont know if I am re-attaining old nervous system pathways or forging new ones, but there is progress, and the results are the same, if glacial and painstaking. I say that as encouragement and empirical knowledge that these roadblocks can be overcome. Sadly it is only through diligence. Knowing that is important, doing it is pretty much the only place to make your money.

    I think posting results, whatever they are, makes it more likely you will have results to post. The blog notices those conspicuous in absence.

    ReplyDelete