Wednesday, March 20, 2013

HAT TRIP

A) "Barraza" 18min AMRAP:  200m run/9 deads @ 275/6 burpee bar muscle up.

Still rowing when the rest of the world is running.  I think under 400m there is a pretty even exertion exchange, 400m or greater you have to factor in mechanical advantage of rower and go farther. That's just me.  Would have far preferred running in this one.  And you should just know you're in for a tussle if you scale your workout and it still includes more than 4 #45 plates and garden variety muscle ups.  I cut the deads to 255 and the burpee bar MU's to kipping ring MU.  Kinda.  I can do a BarMU, sometimes.  Other times I cant.  (An example of not one is below)  I dont really know the secret that my arms and the bar are often in on.  I tried every round and every round I got exactly one BBMU.  "Every" is kinda a joke b/c I could have said BOTH.  2 rounds + 1 BBMU.  Most the time spent trying to go faster on the rings.  Deads were not the problem I thought they would be and I might have come in right around 2 rounds at 275, but it felt good to be proficient at them.  To be clear, that's 18min for 600m/27 deads/13 mu's of some description.  I dont even know how to evaluate that except to say I was happy to see it in the rear view.




B) Clean and Jerk  3-3-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1

Holy crap.  I'll remind you that in the wod "gwen" the mainsite vid showed a woman do 15 ( and then 12 and 9) unbroken reps at 140.  I thought it astonishing back then.  Now I am plain stupid with awe.  I had a good long warm up and tried working up in triples.  Probably overdid that but whatever.   Missed 3rd jerk at 145. Missed more or less makable 3rd clean in second attempt at 145.  Cowered back to 135 to get a "heavy" triple on the books.  Doubles at 140, 145, 150  Singles (uh, these turned into boots to the teeth) 150 155 160x 160 160.  I never want to do that again.  I wouldn't normally showcase my righteous partners' misses, but they did this before me and gave me zero warning and laughed quite zealously as I got turned into sausage by it.  SO: (A miss at 275 I'd have a hard time feeling bad about.)



C) 12 min AMRAP: 4 shoulder press/8 SDHP/12 front squat @ #75.

no doubt in my mind that this wod was an early tester version of 13.2.  What completely surprised me was how hard I had to work to keep the barbell in the rack.  Flexibility and mobility really exposed here.  Cool b/c i was running out of things to work on.  much harder here to "just keep moving"--putting bar down, resetting stance and grip, excetra excetra.  I decided on unbroken sets, no matter what.  One time I was able to go from FS to SP.  Once.  After that, I so badly wanted out of the rack that I would have done anything to drop the barbell, including drop the barbell. 7 rounds, 2 presses

We'll be taking whatever you got

16 comments:

  1. sorry. I didn't really mean to post. Was sorting out the vid situation. I think it's all there now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Box squats, 3x12 reps on the 3:00 send-off @ 155#
    Good mornings, 3x12 reps on the 3:00 send-off @ 105#
    Back extensions, 3x8 reps + 10# - 3x10
    Ab wheel 3x10

    For time:
    135 pound Clean and Jerk, 30 reps
    8:04

    not positive what's actually lost by not being able to let the weight crash, but I think it's nontrivial. i do know i'm not worse off for having to ride it all the way to the floor, just a different/additional stimulus that doesn't help with times. If that sounds a little excuse-y, it doesn't make it untrue. gonna work to lower this time, this seems a little slow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wait, so you did 30 touch and go?

    ReplyDelete
  4. more like 15 pairs of touch/go. a lot of wheezing, self pity. this was heavier than any prior, and going in I was aiming for around 6 mins. so, i was pretty disappointed...but, ya know, glad i did it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. clean and jerks: 135-145-155-165-175f-185-195-205f-205f-195f. hit my com with the second rep of 175. got first attempt at 205 up almost chest high but couldnt get under it fast enough. second attempt was worse. by 195 I was shot.

    #75 rack of death. 7 rounds + 3 press.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Felt pretty banged up coming into this week.

    60 DU
    50 wall ball 12#
    40 box jump 18"
    30 burpee
    20 pullup (red)
    10 dip (blue+red)
    18:02 Dead last, which hasn't happened since my first day congratulations to me. Got to the 20" box I'd picked out and kinda smiled at the thought of reaching the top of it, walked over to an 18". Sadder than this time is the fact that it was the WALL BALLS that killed me. Do sets of 10 Saturday? Want to get to the DUs, questioning if that will happen. Wanted to do this with 14#, coach said 12#.

    5x, rest while partner works, time is our 10x total
    15 air squat
    12 KB 44#
    10 cal air dyne
    18:41

    5x
    10 deadlift 113#
    10 pushup
    20 KB 35#
    DNF, no kidding. Got faint and stopped. Which officially concludes my training fasted experiment. Also don't think I'm ready to go 3 days on yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The first time I did "Karen", it took me 9 minutes. August 19, 2009. But my time is not the point."

      You wrote that.

      Delete
  7. So you didn't heat up the dance floor then? That 50 was the most I've done, and boy did 50 feel like plenty. Baby's not walking just yet, so I suppose I can crawl around with him next week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. I was forced to no-rep myself twice, which hurts. funny how it sparks this inner foul-mouthed screaming match between the voice that's highly sympathetic to the wall-ball effort and the inner judge's voice. Wow, those two do not get along.

      Delete
  9. Something else that hurts? 147, and the post-performance realization that they were not as bad as I'd anticipated and that I didn't reach my goal (picking up the jump rope) because I didn't push enough. In need of some release-your-inner-animal exercises over here if anybody's got a rec.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and yeah thanks I get they weren't as bad as I'd anticipated because I worked too slowly.

      Delete
    2. I think the key to the inner-animal lock is embracing the idea that it's gonna hurt no matter what. No matter what. The pain of not missed intensity only makes things worse. So, making it hurt more is the only way to make it hurt less. To master kung fu, the training must be severe, grasshopper.

      Delete
  10. Is that a bare concrete floor in the gym? No rubbeer mats?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jim, get to a gym, will you

    ReplyDelete