Saturday, March 9, 2013

13.1

Overnight, hallux pain grew much more severe.  Decided bad news was not going to get better with age and I had grave doubts about doing snatches and burpees with any kind of proficiency.  The great toe is important.  It's like the thumb of your foot and thumbs separate us from the rest of the mammalian hoi polloi.  So toes must be what allow us to jump with barbells and get bunions.  Went to the ER.  Dr.'s name was Ketel(though sadly, no bell), and a recent convert to high-intensity functional fitness.  No time wasted explaining snatches, double unders burpees.  Oddly, his first hypothesis was gout.  Uh-huh.  Build up of uric acid in joints.  The more he talked the more sense it made and I was still doubtful (i mean, it's my hallux) but it's very common with chemotherapy (shudder) and I do consume a boatload of protein.  Maybe, who knows?.  Gout is the so-called condition of kings, b/c royalty were all that could afford to get it.  Kings and BMT exercisers.  BUT wait, here is the x-ray. . .nope, pretty clear fracture of the middle phalanx of the great right toe.  Euclidianly clear.  Busted big toe.  The treatment is "rest your toe." (those are not scare quotes, that's what he said). Rest your toe on this stupid wood-sole open toed shoe.  Heavy, heavy sigh.  I have an appt in Boston on Monday where I'm sure they will give me a finger wagging (for this and the shin. yeah, the shin).  Then an ortho visit sometime next week.  I hope they wrap the thing in concrete and let me get about business.  Of course, you can count on me to keep you posted.  I have a toe fetish.  It's like a thumb fetish but (your own) are harder to suck.  It's like a foot fetish but no magazines cater to it.  Nor does it enjoy as much social approval as other fetishes or thumb sucking.  You gotta pretend you have a foot fetish and then ignore the foot part, get to the toes.  Ever see that photo of Marilyn Monroe doing a USO number for the troops?  Maybe Korea?  One joe reaches just to touch her toe.  Totally understand. (get it, toe-tally?)  Ah-hem.  Wods will be catch-as-catch-can until further notice, but i dont really plan on slowing down, just taking the long way.  Up-sides:  County (or maybe state) record holder in broken-toe snatch (130), free Vicodin rx, plenty of time to work on butterfly pull ups, handstand push ups et al.  Lots of party people at Chupacabra don't have busted toes.  I know.  I'm looking.  They all went at it with vim. Some notables (of the rx'd ilk):  Matt: 150, HG: 145, Dawn:138




It's actually a kind of relief.  The truth, no matter how bad it hurts is always somehow soothing.  I think on a good jumper I could make an honest run at Nate and Cope.  I'll soon have a plan for healing and I'm not totally knocked out. This wasn't going to be the best games season for me anyway; now I can dig in and continue with recovery.  Everything else is coming along.  I wish faster but no denying progress.  I think the lesson is: don't snatch on anything but level surfaces.

And don't get hurt.

Would That Not be Nice?






7 comments:

  1. Hi, my name is Ian and I haven't exercised in seven days. The uncommon cold has taken an uncommon toll on me. Got back in the game yesterday with a weak attempt at the chest to bar ring L-sit thing. No need to post numbers here.

    Nice toe. Are you wearing Capri pants?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear the bad news...however misery loves company. At least you don't have to wear a full leg brace for another 3 weeks before the surgery that is going to put you back in a full leg brace for 4 months....your're welcome. Nice Clam Diggers...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slacks. They're awesome with heels

    ReplyDelete
  4. 15 min amrap
    10 box jumps
    10 ring dips
    10 70lb kbs

    7rds + 10 box jumps + 10 dips

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you have the toes-to- portion of 13.2 covered.

    mile 7:40

    run 800
    DB push press 10x 20#
    row 1000

    run 400
    push press 20x
    row 500

    run 200
    push press 30x
    row 250
    1:30 rest between
    22:20, no legs today

    ReplyDelete
  6. wait, what?! run row ppress-no legs?. You're saying they were rubbery today? Get in line. dumb or bar ppress? seems okay to me. quick start on rower? how many sets of presses, there's probably your sub 20 time

    ReplyDelete
  7. 10 minutes AMRAP: 5 Health Lifts #185 and 100 sprint. Sprints on treadmill at 2% incline. 11 rounds + 2 HL. No injuries to report.

    ReplyDelete