Hardest 3-day cycle I've had in recent memory. Bum heel cord, sore SORE hallux. Trying to stay one rep ahead of the DL. Coulda made a strong argument for rest but I've missed all the training days I'm going to for a while. So, turn up the heat.
A) "GRACE" 30 x 135# Clean and Jerk for time
Pretty painful as triple extension requires some jack out of the toe. Every rep was like bashing my thumb with a hammer except it was my toe. Toe toe toe. Lou the toe Groza. Lambert's toe. Toe Jurtle. Hide the toe! 9:33. Hurt.
B) "ZEUS" 3RFT:
30 WB/30 SDHP/30 box jump/30 push press/30 cal row/30 push ups/10 BW back squat
Hardest WOD I've done since 100 thrusters/5 burpees every minute. Disgusting. This one got in my brain and started to eat at the foundations. Big big trouble. Very cleverly designed, evil, devious in its movement sequencing. And the back squat is just a kick in the groin. I did mine at 165 and sorta regret it now, b/c I could have done 180 (BW) and the difference wouldn't have been all that much. The SDHP and PP were at 75#, the box jumps 20" (rx'd) You start out doing 15's and 20's but the movements get harder so you get beat into 10's but by that time you're starting to flag and so they're slow 10s and then you're crying like a baby. Sigh. . .Sears Catalog (5's). Every time you try to bite in, the movements are fast enough that you jump off the hypoxic cliff, and let seconds spill trying to get vision back. I found this one to be very very challenging. 50:03
C) RUN 5K
I almost called no joy on Zeus and rowed instead. Glad I didn't. Sorta. When this posted I knew I wouldn't be running. And the thought of rowing any kind of max effort gave me existential chills. Plus by game time I was sorer than a leper, beat down, worn out and maybe underfed. Had a dream of seeing the 20th minute. Alas it was not to be. I guess you'd say I left myself too much work to do at the end, but I had no kick to speak off. The end looked a lot like the middle and the start. 2:05 pace. Still, a pr of sorts, just not the kind I thought I was capable of. ROW 5K--21:03.
One more dollar, boys, and I'm coming home
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hide the toe. Wow. For the uninitiated who don't know the story, you should. Just get someone other than me to tell it to you.
ReplyDeleteCan't bring this guy anywhere, can you Lut.
ReplyDeleteI digress, but this seems as appropriate a forum as any: I would have Confidently bet real American dollars 7 weeks ago against any suggestion that my workout regimen would be occupying (o! beloved) brain space. Yet here I am, 12 hours post-wod, genuinely pissed about wussing out on my initial chosen weight and turning over why I feared it (and boring the shit out of my husband for lagniappe). How did it sneak in there?
Yes, this is the forum. Exactly the forum. It's why we're here. NEVER TALK ABOUT EXERCISE with people who do not exercise. It's worse than home movies, multi-level marketing and jesus combined. Fastest way to get people thinking less time with you would be better: talk about your workout. But details, what weight(s)? what was the wod? what was the time? It's okay, we're exercisers here.
DeleteCripe. I was hoping to withhold details for AT LEAST a few months, particularly after following the numbers regularly posted here. The only disclaimer I will add is that I am currently in a "Foundations" class (until I can work out of it) which is almost always given a watered-down wod.
Delete200m run, 21 KB swings, 15 push press. 5x, rest while partner works. 26# (rx), 53# (rx) sets 1, 5 45# sets 2,3,4. (At least I can't see you smirking.) I honestly have no idea what our time was, but I do know I had extra time to rest as I was late on the draw and had to partner with a guy who is mostly there to hang out. Yet I STILL did the lower and easy weight. I am not proud to admit that, no I am not. Bad news: this is 2nd time this week I've feared the work and chosen an easier path. Good news: I see the problem, it makes me angry, and I will be vigilant going forward.
Unplanned week off. And I enjoyed every moment of TV and ice cream.
ReplyDelete12-9-6-3: 95#power snatch/burpees-6:13
I hate ties. The neck kind and the same score kind. I'm taking the runner's advantage since you were fed and rested.
DeleteI don't mind ties, the neck kind that is. But a tie score means you didn't win. Which means you didn't win. I can't really call it a loss due to technical reasons, but still, it means you didn't win. I will give you another advantage, I was coming from behind so should have been able to cull a second or two somewhere to beat your time. Unfortunately for me I had in my head that your time was somewhere in the 6:30s, so even if I would have been able to lift my arm an extra time to look at my watch and read the swimming numbers between gasps for air late in the WOD, I still wouldn't have tried to beat the 6:13 time. My goal in this one was to not stop, so I was pretty happy with the outcome. Although not while I was doing it. Rest day due to work, kid related activities and my adamanant refusal to work out early in the morning.
Delete1000m row 3x, 3-4min rest between. 4:14, 4:20, 4:25
ReplyDeletenice work. KME is good in my book. It took me a long time to fall in love with the rower which is how long it took me to decide intervals weren't my deal. I understand what Cope means when he quotes "get comfortable being uncomfortable" but I have a little more room in my heart for doing a workout, even if you have to keep it comfortable to do it. I get the hardcore crossfit thing, I just think its obnoxious to somehow banish all but the most painful workouts we can imagine to the scrapheap of marginal effort. Effort is effort and I'd rather encourage somebody to not get hurt and keep coming back than I would give advice to make sure it hurts.
DeleteHeresy. And a false dilemma. "Our prescription is constantly varied, high-intensity, functional movement." Effort is effort the same way a calorie is a calorie. It is true, though, that you want to train forever, not until the next time you're hurt. intensity and safety are in tension. No escaping that. They are in tension and the tension will shape your workout. Beginners will wisely skew to the safe end. The more advanced will be strong and experienced enough to inoculate themselves against injury but that is a pretty theoretical statement. In practice, strong ass people still get hurt. The point is good programming will let the exerciser do comfortable movements at uncomfortable intensity, safely. Of course some wods are harder than others. Of course. but by and large the good wods (not to say hard OR easy) allow the exerciser to find the pain in them precisely through intensity. Nobody adapts to comfort. You've already adapted, that's why its comfortable.
DeleteYou can sorta tell how sore i am cant you? I just cant let it be for nothin' But that's probably my thingy.
Yes. I clarify that I was using comfortable as an antonym to pain, not to intensity. But I also think anybody prone to posting comments on a blog that can use the acronym WOD without a trace of irony probably finds the fun that exists in experimenting with intensity in the first place. No speedwalkers in this crowd. Being hard isn't the same as needing to hurt--is my point--other than in the existential sense of the word. And I REALLY don't like rower intervals. Really. Not at all. Did I mention the part about not liking rowing intervals? But absolutely yes: effort is effort in the same way that a calorie is a calorie. By which I recognize that the quality of the calorie matters just as the quality of the effort does.
DeleteBut really, to be direct about it, I was really just politely asking that we not quote Greg Glassman, without being discouraging to Cope. Geez. Read between the lines.
Besides, it's true that I don't know KME at all. But I sure as hell know her avatar. Somebody explain to me how that's not awesome.
very good. We are in agreement then. I did read between the lines and knew what you meant in spirit if not letter. Totally. With agreement. And the principle of charitable interpretation almost prevented me from replying. But I knew KME is reading and as her distance coach I wanted to take the opportunity to remind her to work hard. Working hard might lead to injury. Not working hard will definitely lead to far worse things, only one of which is wasted time.
DeleteC2 intervals are hard. "coe" to me means the ring dip wod that almost killed cope.
hey now! C2 intervals? eesh. What's next, knee socks and ...ah forget it. nice splits. 8min/2k probably a good goal.
ReplyDeleteGrace- 6:26
ReplyDeleteI love how one chick posts and she gets ALL the attention. And we cant even SEE her. dudes be dumb
ReplyDelete"oh, here. let me help you with that"
the plumber called. He wants his pipes back
Um, thanks guys.
ReplyDeleteBowen therapy lady advised Wednesday no CF for 5 days(!) (?) on account of strained psoas but rowing ok so I went back the next day and, well, makin and birthin babies aren't the only things that make me holler: 3minute rest between, 4:21 4:22 4:34
"Being hard isn't the same as needing to hurt." No kidding huh. You lift that nugget from Rhett Miller or something?
PSOAS! Who said psoas? Psoas. Wow. Psoas. If you were to field dress a human, I think the psoas would be the part hunters call the fish. It should never be frozen and barely cooked. In venison. Only venison.
ReplyDelete