Sunday, March 24, 2013

Peaches

A) Snatch 1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Desperately wanted to catch 135.  Felt strong enough to do it, was jumping well enough even on fractured hallux.  Worked up to 125, my last 1rm.  Called that one of seven.  The rest went: 135x-135-135x-135x-135x-125.  Whew.  PR.





B) 13.3:  12min AMRAP 150 wall ball (20#/10ft)/ 90 double unders/HA!

No doubt my goal was to finish the double unders but knew that was a tall order.  There is a fairly large delta between counting your own reps of wall ball and someone else counting your reps of wall ball.  I don't care who you are or how strict you are with yourself.  I just don't take bad reps from myself, but my judge took even fewer.  RATE of wall ball was quicker since Jan, but my score was about the same thanks to about 10 no reps and really leaning on it.  Was able to rip off a nice string of broken-toe DU's (tired of it aren't you?  yeah, break your toe and tell me how tired) but good times they are a fleeting.  171.


C) For time: 20 2p KB swings/30 T2B/ 400m

Sub'd a 500m row for the run.  Really wanted to do this under 5.  No-rep'd two KBs, but did not put the bell down.  I don't cycle T2B the way I can KTE, which is likely the point, went 15-10-5 but with a little extra swing pre-kip.  Shot for a 1:45 row, came up two seconds slow.  This is a gunshot to the belly.  5:13










Blow up your TV, throw away your paper

22 comments:

  1. why were the kbs no-repped?

    ReplyDelete
  2. trying to go fast, didn't get it overhead, tried another quick one that wouldnt have counted as a Russian swing. Had to regroup and swing-swing-pop to get the last three started. The two pood bell just does not take instruction well. You need to be stern

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cleaned out my car today and threw out some papers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's good work gym, I mean, Jim.

      Delete
    2. Did you also throw out the $12,000 stereo equipment in the back seat of your $5000 Yukon so more than two people can ride in your 18' SUV?

      Delete
  4. Bench press, 3x10 reps on 3:00 send-off @ 115# + monster minis
    JM press, 3x12 reps on 3:00 send-off @ 55# like this
    Dips, 3x8
    seated rope-to-chest row 5x10
    then
    Clean and Jerk 3-3-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1 reps
    95/95/115/135/145/155/165/175F

    talk about creaky and worn out. whew, 175 felt heavy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dynamic effort box squat, 4x6 reps @ 135# + bands
    Dynamic effort bench press, 8x3 reps @ 95/115# + bands
    Dynamic effort pull-ups, 8x3 reps @ 25/0#
    then
    12 min AMRAP:
    75 pound Shoulder press, 4 reps
    75 pound Sumo deadlift high-pull, 8 reps
    75 pound Front squat, 12 reps
    np- 5rds + 4 presses
    bc- 4rds + 4 presses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, or sometimes "speed work." it's training with lower weights plus chains & bands with max speed for greater force development. bands and chains are meant to help reduce bar deceleration. i no gotty the chains, just bands.

      Delete
    2. yes, reduce deceleration. That is the intended training adaptation. The bands and chains themselves add weight that varies throughout the range of motion (less in the hard parts, more in the easy). Hence the name "accommodating resistance" bands are enough, chains are fun and cool, one more thing for the boudoir.

      If it's all the same, Cope, could we get the York/Excelsior avatar back?

      Delete
  6. Peaches come in a can. They were put there by a man.

    Shoveled some snow, measured 10' on the chimney, started the clock. Wallballs are a elephantine goat. Hoped against all hope to just get to the DUs. Even took the jump rope outside with me. Missed a lot of wall balls early. A lot. Realized that I had to go slow and just see how many i could grind through. Turns out it was about 80. Did the 90 DUs just for kicks. Took the wall ball (home made)inside and set up a simple balance using an old metal bar, a wooden shelf, said wall ball, and some weights. Turns out my wall balls weighs somewhere between 27.5 and 30 lbs. Still not happy. But on the other hand, I can do 80 27.5-30 lb wall balls in 12 minutes and I built a simple balance in the basement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elephantine. The best thing about going iPad is you can hold your finger over a word and it will give you the option to see a definition. This is a crucial pre-req for me being involved in this blog.

    Elephantine. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. building a balance beat me. Stab a hole in that homade wall ball and let it leak out on you. It helps build concentration and It will get lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pilch's narrative gave me some Rocky IV kind of feelings. I'm having some trouble relating to the part where he doesn't check the weight (heavy?) first.

    5x 3 push press
    last 2 sets at 83

    10x 10 KB 35#, 7 burpee
    Dufus men in our group took all the 35#s then started the clock while we were searching for more so I don't actually know how long this took, was trying to go fast.

    hang power snatch 5x 2
    Last set at 65, felt good and wanted to try more # but I was holding everyone up.

    5x 5 thruster 55#, 7 pullups (red band, then blue my grip strength still really sucks, more obvious with less supportive band) 6:07
    The shirt came off on this one. Figuring this puts me at about at 25 minute rx Fran, which is to say, I hope I don't have to do Fran anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. my first fran: 25 minutes. You need more time on the pull up bar. Just hang, shoulders back and down. 3-5 max holds. 2-5 slow negatives. 3-5 honest max efforts at pulling over the bar. Band is cool for the wod, but consider it mainly cardio. Building raw strength takes progressively overloaded resistance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the part about taking the rope out with you, Pilch. Made me feel not so stupid for setting up my rings. Like maybe Ahab had tarter sauce below deck

      Delete
    2. Do this 4x week? Have had to notice that the band might not be the friend I thought, so I'll start this. Pretty sure I'll see when I get off it that my kip is a mess too. Melville would have delighted in such a cheeky detail, and I think Ahab was that sure. What the latter means for us is...less affirmative.

      Delete
    3. If you had a notion to drop the Hummel portion of the program for talk of The Whale I wouldn't mind that at all.

      Delete
  11. laughed out loud at the tarter sauce...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Box squats, 3x8 reps on 2:30 send-off @ 155#
    Good mornings, 3x8 reps on 2:30 send-off @ 115#
    Jerk position split squats (8 R-leg, 8 L-leg), @ 95# (easy to get aggressive when picking the right weight. um, this is in no way a leg thing. all shoulders/core. kinda fun)
    Hip and back extensions, 3x10 reps + 25#
    then
    18 minute AMRAP:
    Run 200 meters
    205 pound Deadlift, 9 reps
    6 burpee chest-to-bar pull-ups
    5rds + 200m + 5 deads

    ReplyDelete
  13. my gut tells me your gut is right on. sadly it's pretty common. I think of them as the "look at me" trainers. As if your fitness has something to with their fitness. Most charitably interpreted, they might think they need to show clients how to train: intensity and whatnot. I still think its a mistake. If you and your partner ran a restaurant would one cook and another eat with the patrons as a matter of course? Hopefully they are well meaning, honest people and it's just a matter of them working things out. I know those early days; a lot happens that you look back on and wince. 195 pressed x 3 is fearsome, suggesting genetic gifts (NFL?), but it's my experience that ones with the biggest gifts can be the most benighted, self-referential coaches. (mediocre athletes, I like to think, make awesome coaches) Excellence in one sphere does not automatically confer excellence in another. (See Rawls, Spheres of Justice for just how tortured that analogy). Cant help but add this too (as one with heel cord trouble): K-star says short of catastrophic incident, a blown heel cord is the result of months of ignoring mobility, tissue health. You'd hope for a coach that had prevention on her mind. How was the coaching that did happen? That'd probably be your best prognosticator.

    But back to Melville, I wonder if there is a Hummel plate with MD on it? I'd buy it. And I'd hang it in the gym. After the first time i read MD, I was so stupefied, so agog at how heavy AND spry it was that i vowed to read it every year for the rest of my life. That happened exactly one year. Might be time get back to it. Or recognize one of several obsessions is abandoning old ones for new, which calls into question the meaning/understanding of the word for me. And maybe suggesting there is plenty of work left to do with the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's taken me most my life to learn that keeping my mouth shut is never a terrible strategy. Box jumps, eesh. Didn't we stop cycling them years ago? Bread and butter has as much to do with disposable income as anything. (lex's understanding of the bidness model is surely more nuanced). Guessing in your area that demo is broader than mine but, generally, yes, you can run a gym if you keep the milfs happy. Sorta like my at house. Speaking of. . . anyone catch the crossfit ad "making 7's into 10's" or some-such? Im just gonna go ahead and call myself a feminist, because. . .actually not "because", rather, MOREOVER, I thought it was gross, if not at all hard to watch. any thoughts? new post is up, we can take remarks there

    ReplyDelete