Tuesday, March 12, 2013

a new hope

Think it'll scar?
A) 15min AMRAP:  15 pull ups/30 knee tucks
The Chupacabra had a very good idea:  Scale EVERY wod to suit individual weaknesses, biases.  We're not trying to guild the lily here, though it might seem that way.  I don't want to put x's on your eyes with the details (unless you ask for more), so in pretty broad brush strokes: we three are good coaches for each other.  Matt has damn-close to elite strength but his cardio-vascular fitness needs to improve for him to attain his goals.  Dawn is just as fit as a fiddle and fast besides but she's pretty new to the strength game.  I'm recovering from a bone marrow transplant of all things.  I take improvement wherever I can find it.  The straight dope diagnosis is I gotta get back to fall '11 levels and then see what's next.  That's gonna mean getting a lot stronger and overcoming diminished lung function.  So:  maximize power production in all wods of whatever construction, mono-structural, weightlifting, gymnastics, met-con.  Power production.  If that means making it heaver, so be it.  If that means taking weight off the bar (more likely), we'll do that too.  Power.  The way the new regime applies to todays wod is:  instead of doing CTB pulls in sets of 5 or 3 or lets face it, doubles and standing around waiting for the sand to pull high again, I did regular kipping pulls.  Got two sets unbroken and then some 8-7s and then 5-5-5.  This breakdown alone tells me the approach was right.  I might have gotten 3 rounds of CTB.  Maybe.  Instead of doing knee tucks, I did lifts from ring support, 30/round.  In it's way it was a break through.  Keep moving.  To borrow an analogy from Louie, throw three things at a window, wiffle ball, baseball, cinder block.  Which one is ideal for breaking the window?  Im trying to find the baseball in every workout?  make sense?  Pull ups don't bother my toe a bit. 6 rounds+10 pulls


B) 10min AMRAP:  5 Deadlifts @ 185/ 100m row
Squeezed this one in after long Boston trip, sneaker shopping with the boy and little food for the day. Good check up though.  My best, actually.  Check up PR.  Blood docs it turns out could not be less interested in conditions of the bone or skin.  Bored, truly.  "Why were you jumping on the box, were you trying to crush it?"  No, it was a 3/4in plywood box.  "ooh.  I see.  you were doing it over and over again?"  Yeah, something like that.  "Why did you kick the barbell? In anger?"  Not really--I kinda tripped."  "Try not to get hurt."  Okay.  So.  Very little warm up.  Can't really run.  Tried to keep all the rows around 20sec.  Probably should have used a different start.  As it was I did the punishing long slow pull to start.  9 rounds+5 deads+90m  In retrospect, I might have made this a tad heavier, since i was losing time getting on the rower anyway.  I think deads+just about anything=hard training


C) 3-3-3-3-3 OHS
Topped off at 125 after several lesser in Jan.  Today I wanted to do all of them above that, though I didn't know exactly where that would be.  Worked up to 125 pretty easily.  At 135 things got very dicey. Called that my first work set.  I didn't know how I was gonna do that 4 more times.  But, happily, I got better and stronger.  Mainly remembering cues, stretching the bar.  Sorta surprised myself.  Three at 135.  Even better at 140.  Swung for the fence with 150 in final set.  Got two and fought the 100 years war in 10 seconds of grinder with the barbell in the third rep.  It was a hard one to lose.  Which is probably what the British thought.

If they asked you how it happened, say I forced you into this

10 comments:

  1. 10min AMRAP: 15 pull ups/30 secs of knee tucks

    np: 5 even
    bc: 4 rds + 8pulls

    the logging industry demanded we cut this one a few minutes short so it only went 10 mins.

    started the morning off with a max effort bench press, which continues to vex me.
    np:185
    bc: 235

    this might've been more appropriate pre-chupacabra, but in case anyone else is interested in blending the metcon & strength stuff, consider snooping around http://hotdogsandcupcakes.blogspot.com/ its an effort from adrian bozman and matt chan meant to be an augmentation to main site wodding. a cursory look suggests that it's just what I've been looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 x 3 OHS: 135-145f-135-135-145(2). This did not work out like I had hoped. Last time was in September and got 145x3 and missed 155. So 135 went easy, dropped first rep of 145, tried again, same thing, back to 135, went fairly easy, then 145 for 2. Clearly a form issue, just wasn't able to keep the weight back. 1 rep max is 165 so missing 145 just sucked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a broken toe helps keep you off your toes.

      Delete
    2. Maybe I should try that.

      Delete

  3. Box squats, 3x12 (155# - roughly 65% of 1RM) rest 1:00 between
    Good mornings, 3x12 (75#) rest 1:00 between
    Bulgarian split squats holding dumbells, 3x12 rest 1:00 between
    Weighted Back extensions 3x8 reps slow and controlled
    then
    10 minute AMRAP:
    5 x 185 pound Deadlift
    Sprint 100 yards

    np-8
    bc-7

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you're digging into The Open don't neglect the 13.2 Prep & Strategy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was not digging into the open today. Just did some lame squat cleans and other random dumbell things. Plan on trying it on Saturday, will look at 13.2 prep and strategery first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3-3-3-3-3 OHS
    7RFT: 5 wall climbs // 7T2B // 9 30" box jumps

    95/115/125/125/125 - funny, these got easier as I got warmed up, felt like I had a chunk left in the tank, but had a severe aversion to the inherent bar-dropping-risk which increases exponentially with pounds (or seems it)
    19:15 - set a (not blistering) pace, just kept moving. its my new strategy

    getting after 13.2 on sun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do we not give you enough attention that you had to whip out the shin porn?

    Thrilling news on the check up PR. Truly.

    200run
    15 KB swing 35#
    100 bear crawl
    amrap 20mins
    7 rounds

    front squat 3-3-3-3-3
    88/93/98/103/103

    5x for time
    10 push press 53#
    10 burpee
    8:43

    +shoulder to overhead practice. Yes I can get 75# overhead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's so disgusting, it disgusts the owner. Until I think of it as me smiling at myself. Without teeth. Then I have to taste again whatever I last ate.

      Bear crawls are good push up builders. 75# OH? So this means you'll be posting a 13.2 score. The blog will be looking for it.

      Silly me. Somehow I thought 7 was my goal. then saw Cope's score. Jesus, is this gonna take me 2 min a round? I'm thinking of step ups in early rounds to forestall cardio tsunami and then going blat out til 10min or chin hits deck

      Delete