Love this couplet and the rep structure. It was really challenging on toe that I could barely get into shoe. Side of the foot, weird positioning, had to get perfectly tight and set for every rep as if attempting a 1rm, which by the end it pretty much was. Not cycling T2B quickly, but I dont have to come off the bar for fewer than 15. Went into it thinking I would very likely have to bail out. Did not, so I'm saying "success." Got 40, took shoe off, applied ice.
B) 2-2-2-2-2-2-2 thruster


In the rain, muddy deck, iron weight, stiff, fat barbell. But I was determined, not to miss a day. Call 'em prison-yard thrusters whatever the total. Worked up to 145, called that 1. 155 was slow but possible, though the clean was starting to weight the equation. Tried 165, but the front squat to begin made it too tough. Back to 155 to finish the set. Had the boy take the pic. I tried to move fast enough to have the bar clearly in motion. You can sorta talk yourself into that conclusion. It IS moving.
C) 5RFT: 3 power clean 205/10 burpee pull ups
I took 205 to mean pretty goddamn heavy. My last power clean max was 165 so I started with 160. My plan was to strip as necessary. Heavy as possible WITHOUT standing around. Pulling weights cost me some time but I was happy to get the heavier reps in. One round at 160, one at 155, the remainder at 145. Matt rx'd in a frightening time that had to have been sub 10--I don't know, I was up to my chin in work. Dawn I thought was around 12 or 13 at 113# (i think). 16:11
next to a mountain

Is that a bare dirt floor in the gym? No rubbeer mats?
ReplyDeleteThere is a big gobbler peaking around the corner of the pole barn in one pic...
ReplyDeleteIs that a clip on decorative block wall or one of those nifty grip master thingys?
ReplyDeleteare these questions cause for more or fewer large-scale pics?
ReplyDeleteFence is nowhere near 8ft. It might be 5 and encloses the pool since, I don't know, 3-4 years ago.
retaining wall is 5 years old if you date it's initiation. Completion, eh, 3.5 or 4. Potter projects known to languish on the cusp of completion. The barn, eg
It's not done, but I'll thank you for not calling it the pole sort. Think of it as Nate's welder, metal break and CO2 container
barbell collar, not grip trainer. Now that you mention it, you likely could pinch a roach in there but it be like using jumper cables for a tie tack
not one mention of two oaks that held leaf all winter?
If you look very closely you can see pull up bar under barn deck. (courtesy: Lut)
I almost feel ashamed, all I saw was the hair.
ReplyDeleteAny thoughts/experience on this one? Thanks in advance, sorry to be the needy kid. A dull, unpleasant feeling somewhere deep-feeling in the middle of shoulder and restricted movement, for example, the tricep stretch where you raise arm and push the elbow back feels like something is being pinched and doesn't get very far. Have looked on mobwod and elsewhere online--shoulder impingement? It started after my many failed 75# snatch attempts on 13.1 (repeat, had never seen a snatch before the 30 @45# I did that day), have been ignoring it since and in the meantime the shoulder to overheads on 13.2, 95# clean and jerks, etc. In other words, I jumped into these movements and the weight without building the technique or strength to do them and in retrospect that mighta been stupid.
Thanks for your thought Nate on our programming. You're probably right. I also think they are dismissive of the Foundations class so that can make me suspicious. And yes I was moaning a couple of weeks ago but (see above) not about workload.
Yes, hair. Wavy, unruly shocks of it after a lifetime of a stick-straight curtain. Dunno. the person who thinks a lot more about my hair than I do, does not complain, so I don't either. It's just better not to complain.
ReplyDeleteSorry? shoulder talk way more interesting to me than cope's time in the last wod, Cip's sets x reps of triceps extensions. Impingement, as I understand it is a catch all term that may be one of several kinds (of impingement). the most common is related to the humerus pulling away from socket and pinching supraspinatus or RC tendon. a good test is to grab the opposite shoulder with the affected shoulder's hand and lift elbow. if it pinches grinds or is junky i think that's impingement. if it's one youre not born with you can address it by lying on your back and holding a dumb or kettle bell straight up and driving the head back into the socket. do this 100 times a day. you should also mob the pec minor (ball, short foam roller, wall). This too: back, kb up overhead (chest), turn and put belly and hip on floor while keeping KB up high, but letting the weight of it drive hum and scap back toward the spine (spotter is a good idea.). 5-way shoulder with a band is NEVER a bad idea. you might have or also have rotator stuff going on. which will take a fair amount of lax or field hockey ball smashing. you dont have an injury event, so I think soft tissue is just tuckered out. The body revolts under the regime of more work. I dont think you did anything stupid. Not zealously mobilizing now would be stupid. You can absolutely get overtop of it. I had RC pain so bad it woke me up at night. Remedied by mobility work. Quell the insurrection with countermeasures, harsh but loving
and dont forget to keg stretch, T-spine and tissues can stiffen up and send trouble up and down the lane. Core to extremity fashion. Cope and Lut have both had shoulder badgers so they will likely have more to add.
you can be a little pissed your coaches sent you at weighted snatches w/o a few hours or weeks of instruction. WAY too common in xfit gyms if you ask me. coaching someone to snatch a weighted barbell w/o progressing up to it is sorta like beginning literature study with Ulysses. You might learn something, but there are gonna be some misunderstandings along the way.
5 minute back squat test, 135# *** For 5:00, complete as many squats as possible. may not rack the bar until the 5:00 is up
ReplyDelete32
5 minute shoulder press test, 75# *** Same rules as above... no back rack
30
100 Triceps extensions w/ monster-mini (cram it - my BP is sad but not for long)
didn't have the juice to do the day's wod. shot hoops instead. pitiful pitiful display with smoked arms/legs. but very fun
boys play basketball....men wrestle...just saying... don't you have a UFC league down south? I was active in the over 40 league up here until I hurt my knee...
Deletecharitably interpreted you got some intended interference, not universally bad, think of the wod JT. But I see this kind of thing alot: first, segmenting the training into "strenght" and "cardio" blocks. It's not wrong but glassman's (i think novel) idea is to blur the line, not make it more distinct. I think most GPP types benefit most from moderate weight, high intensity, short duration, muscles and lungs taxed mutually and at once. That demands adaptation. 3x3 is a strange set/rep structure too. Closer to a max or heavy day than anything, but not really because of the movement. If this is a nod at conjugate training its a bad one b/c heavy days are supposed to be so hard that conditioning isnt just too much, it's stupid. Guess im agreeing. I dont see much glow to the combo(s). Then again, sometimes it's good training to just do what comes out of the hopper. Routine is an enemy. Programming is hard. Really hard. Times I tried I always came away with much respect for mainsite. I get the feeling Tony Budding isnt all that much fun to hang out with, but dude can program and that means hes not stupid. JW and I used to program mos of wods and then give them to each other for adjustment and then back again so on and so on until we both agreed we had what we wanted and needed. If he gave me this, i'd probably send back to him something like: 4RFT 11 thrusters @ 115/400m. Scumble the line.
ReplyDeleteOk. Im a big fan of the EMOM. Huge. Doing it more and more. Great for skill work, great for intensity, great for greasing the groove, so to speak. Much better than a 3x3 IMO. So thrusters and fs...meh. I wouldnt typically program them together, but you got ample time to stabilize the midline like a mofo. wods are so much better when you have someone to chase or is chasing you.
ReplyDelete