Outlaw goes 3 on-one off-2 on-one off. I like the reliable rest day so I'm gonna give it a whirl
the next two (Fri/Sat):
1) EMOM 7min: 1 power snatch 80% + 2 behind neck push presses w/snatch grip (can rack)
EMOM 7min: 2 power cleans (touch and go) + 1 push jerk 70%
20 wall ball/40pullup/20wb/40boxjump/20wb/40ringdip/20wb/40kb 1.5/20wb
3RFT: 4 rope climb/12 push press 95/16 GHD sit
2) 7x2 High hang clean + jerk heaviest possible 60 sec rest
4x3 clean first pull, heavy 60 sec rest
4x2 1 1/4 squat heavier than last week 60 sec rest
4min max sled drag 200#
3x10 GHD raise
3x10 reverse hyper
Links you may find edifying:
Whole 9
Taubes
Sugar
Snack foods
Sweet Tooth
Come on gimme some a that novocaine, come on gimme some a that novocaine, keep the sugar comin' through a candy straw, I don't wanna feel no pain.
So here I am, still drifting, not putting out many results worth posting. Schedule is still full, not a lot of time or energy to workout. I floated Cope's quit my job idea. Never made it out of committee. So, just trying to hold steady through the spring. My new plan, just started on Wednesday is to get a few (2-4) good high intensity WODs in and add some fairly heavy basics from powerlifting and oly lifting with some assist work afterwards. This usually takes me almost an hour. Which is why it isn't happening very often. Then it takes a little while to recover and really be productive again. Anyway, the other days will now have shorter, lower intensity WODs, just to get them done and do something on those days. Will see how it goes. Not switching to outlaw or anything more time consuming anytime soon (see above). Plus I still usually kind of like crossfit.
ReplyDeleteThe blog. I know what you are saying. Yet I check it everyday, usually multiple times. I like it. Just cause I don't comment doesn't mean I'm not reading it. I think it comes down to this: I like the people, I like what they say, so I enjoy it. If it is gone I will miss it. And I'm sure I will slip further out of touch with the participants. So, what do do? End it (see above). Change it? Talk about other things? What would motivate you (CJ) to continue it? What would you want it to look like? I don't want to talk about people. Unless it is good things people are saying about me. Then blog away. Talk about ideas? This leads to what kind of ideas? And what is the difference between an idea and a thought? I'm sure I could look that up but I'm not going to. I digress...
Diet, I think there are many ways to skin that cat (and eat it). And you can find a pretty good amount of support for almost all of them. My friend Roger's pork rinds and gin diet idea being a likely exception. Controlling glucose levels by avoiding sugars and simple carbs is likely extremely important. Insulin is critical to keeping blood sugar stable, but over secretion has all kinds of undesirable consequences. There is thermodynamics: if energy in is higher than energy out, then you get fat. If it is lower you get skinnier. Then within all that you have to ingest the numerous and complicated components that your body needs and I really don't think we have any real idea if there is one perfect way to actually do that. I think 50 years from today we will be shocked at what we are thinking now. Remember when everyone was told that smoking was healthy? How about Cope's little Claire? What the f was that? Who can explain that? But I am so glad it worked, but it fuels my already healthy skepticism of our understanding of diet and it's effect on an individual's health. I try to use a lot of common sense in mine. But I still ate a bunch of ice cream last night. I want to be healthy, but I love ice cream. And chocolate, and gin, bourbon, scotch, lately rye. But not wine (unless it is fortified and mixed with aforementioned gin). Steak is spectacular and I try to cut down on the rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, etc., but I still eat it. I try to eat as many vegetables as I can. But I don't think fruit is bad for you. Unless covered in sugar. Mostly lately I realize that I feel better if I avoid most of that crap, so that is what I try to do. But the ice cream.....
I am also currently convinced that the drumming in Zeppelin's rock n roll is the best I am have ever heard. And I also think one should always choose the bean soup, when offered.
I meant eat them, not it. The bad stuff. I will not stop eating steak.
Deletegood example of why I think Taubes book may engage you. He fairly eviscerates the "thermodynamic" model of weight/fat gain. Title of one chapter: biology not physics. I found it Copernican in its shift. Curious what you will think of his reasoning/argument. you're already at the other big conclusion (for me) which is there is MUCH personal variation, our job is to figure out how the principles fit the individual.
ReplyDeleteI first read "I try to use a lot of common sense in wine" (and I think unconsciously nodded). Did I spy "wine" coming in the next line, read in a passable rhyme, or simply read what I wanted to hear about my diet?
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't have thought to count calories, have been around 85-90% no sugar/grains/starch since Dec with good results, but a few buff ladies from the box said they do it and feel they have to do it so I tried it out. Let's just say it's not something I'd advise to anyone with an eating disorder in her/his past (o to grow up an American girl!), felt too much like the old days. Like I said, was happy with current diet without it, so I'll stay here for awhile and observe. Was pleasantly surprised by the body fat test last month, it was mostly an attempt just to see what happens when I tighten the reins. Claire's experience is blows the mind, and I guess makes me both a believer (in power of diet) and a skeptic (is there a one-size formula). If I think about why intense medication is suggested to the parents of a 3 year old before a diet change I will likely throw up the man-sized plate of eggs I just housed.
I have heard similar things in regard to a ketogenic diet for seizures. I exercise each day in lieu of having lunch with my co workers. It cuts down on the bitchiness, and makes me feel healthy. But I'm nowhere near being able to keep up with all of you. I enjoy the blog, and also read often without commenting. I say we keep it going, and see where it goes. I want to recommend Tana French as an author to everyone, and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros for music. Very bluesy, a little bit churchy but mostly soul.
ReplyDeleteEMOM 7 power snatch + BTN SG push press 115
ReplyDeleteEMOM 7 2 power clean + jerk 125
wall ball repeating with pull ups/boxes/ring dips/KB: 18:30
nice work cope getting the extra wod in. Maybe today
Barbell portion of 2) above: 7x2 high-hang cleans. Heaviest possible. started at 135, worked to 2 doubles at 150. wanna learn to jump w/ a barbell? start at the high-hang.
ReplyDelete4x3 clean first pulls 275, quite happy b/c i know now I can do more.
4x2 one-and-a-quarter front squats 145. Did these after conditioning b/c of time. Still got them all so this # is bound to go up.
Instead of planned conditioning, did "Angie" with training seminar at Chupacabra. 100 Pull/push/sit/squat 22:10
Strongest most enthusiastic encouragement to acquire a copy of "Becoming a Supple Leopard" by Kelly Starrett. Pricey, yes. But probably cheaper than your ortho co-pay. Guaranteed to change your movement patterns and strategies for the better. And I'm only a third of the way through. Chapter on mid-line stability alone will save you 5 bottles of Advil and give you 50 dead lift pounds.
ReplyDeletefor "second pull" you did high pulls from the hang? Good 1.25 numbers, i think those and tempo squats bound to improve olympic numbers. I might've had you in Angie without leg lock spasms in squats. I hate that workout, like an avalanche of weakness setting off other avalanches. I think I could do 50 of each in 7min. 100 ? well thats sorta like double and single unders, they look the same but really theres no comparison.
ReplyDelete