Between the Safe Harbor and Holtwood dams, the Susquehanna gets wide and deep, a lake really. Net up some sunnies, hook 'em through the back, put 2 oz of sinker and a swivel up the leader and let fly into the channel. No need to set the hook. The flatheads hit it hard and then fight like broncos. This one the experienced would only call tiny. Three years ago I pulled out one about a big as the boy. Last night we were on the small side of things but this one nearly fought Wyatt out of the boat. They are savage battlers and when you land them there's a feeling like you've pulled up a different geological era. Well behind the photo there is an island with petroglyphs easily seen (in daylight and) when the power company cuts the cubic feet per second.
Nice. Backhoes and cat fishing. Damnit boy, we kin?
ReplyDeleteI suggest catfish in a clay pot.
all men are brothers
DeleteReally good stuff. Some of my best memories with my dad he was teaching me the hard but good stuff of fishing. You bait your own hook. How do let a fish go with mercy. And the joy and camaraderie of wrestling a big one, a fighter to shore. Also, don't get so energetic casting that the line whips back and you catch a fish hook in the nose.
ReplyDeleteThat's good stuff. Do you still yell "Fish ON" at night or are there different rules at night?
ReplyDeleteTell Y nice pic...
at night you go, heyheyhey i got one.
DeleteGreat story. Savage battlers from the mighty Susquehanna, I couldn't have said it better myself, you never know what you find in the dark of something wide and deep. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteWhen I caught a sunny I thought I had a fish, so I guess this one isn't for me. Though I did take em off the the line and halve the worms for my bro and pops.
ReplyDelete