Tuesday, July 3, 2012

51, 52, 53 Poetry Tuesday

Must put a couple in the bank.  Holiday and all.  Taking the tribe up to Birdie and Pop-pop's for the sparklers.  Hope to get a swim in too.  I was told no swimming except in private pools and that seemed class biased to me.  Then I thought of going pool to pool, backyard to backyard see how far I could get.  Make a good story.  The gang went out for miniature golf last night at the world renowned Village Greens.  It's the Pebble Beach of putt-putt.  Played the shorter, though no less forgiving, Orange course.  Wyatt and I were paired.  He took coaching well and had 4 or 5 honest bogies.  Heather and Adders, Ab-mat and Agnes did not keep their scores, which, well.  I don't want to get into it except to say, If there's a score, you keep it.  Yours blogger in chief:  -1.  Hope everyone has lots of bottle rockets, M-80's and Roman candles.  Remember to hold them in your hand and let the fuse go a good bit before throwing them at somebody.  Beer will give you some extra courage so drink a lot of it.  Have a superb holiday my people. God bless John Roberts Jr.  Here is KME, see if the hair on your arm doesn't stand:



Out Walking with Baby

We are the untouchables, separate 
from traffic, a still between the scenes 
of do & take. The leaf blowers pause 
at their task of dislocation, mowers 
change direction to let us pass. 
They think the world for us 
is soft & fine, playful shadows 
tossed from filtered light. 
But we know the red violence
of animal brought forth from animal. 
We know the force that moves us to kill.


12 comments:

  1. Nice going on -1. I tried somewhat of a new sport today. New to me. I got all jazzed up watching Wimbledon the last couple days and decided to give tennis a go at the club on the resort we are vacationing. Turns out, it only took tennis 13.8 minutes to make me its bitch. I kept saying to the old guy, who was making me run like a boykin, lets see you snatch 150 badass. Anyway, turns out there are no out of the park homers in tennis. AND, they dont like my vocabulary. Turds.
    There is also a tech term inthe military for giving the fuse a little extra time. "milking the grenade". Tricky dance though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In point of fact, there is a homerun in tennis. Naughton invented it in ninth grade. You have to hit the roof of the elementary school. It wins you fame and adoration but costs you a paddle beating or 1000 pushups. Like a man child, Scoots took the beating. He's also been milking grenades for years w/o knowing what to call it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful prose. I love poetry but cant write it. Like a karaoke lounge singer. To all:Thank happy fourth. Let's stay free, a little while longer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how the word thank crept in there

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey...It's Heather, using CJPs laptop...
    KME: Your poem leaves me breathless. You have captured the paradox of childbirth so perfectly...I still remember walking with my 3, having people fuss, being both touched by the doting neighbors' interest and somehow resentful of their naiveté. I think we are taught to forget the primal nature of birth and the protective, aggressive impulses that are its companion. Thanks for putting this into words. Truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. I too find this juxtaposition very interesting. "Taught to forget"--that's exactly it, isn't it. Seems off to have something so primal and ferocious (birthing And mothering) be twisted into something so precious. It's like they are precious because they're small and vulnerable, but the latter qualities are precisely what shapes the hard edges of our compulsion to protect...Means much to have it validated.

      Delete
  6. Potter,

    Happy Fourth to you all. Great advice to all on drinking lots of beer and throwing fireworks at somebody. Glad to read you are getting better, keep it up! I agree with you on the pool hopping, make it a new sport and keep score. Give you a great story every time.
    Thanks to CIP for the new tech term milking the grenade. I had different visions of milkings, but makes my fourth memorable. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah...the tennis court home runs...get a little extra upper cut on your swing, tennis balls carry better than a baseball. Just be sure the student teacher isn't watching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 51 - Dick Butkus
    52 - Mike Webster
    53 - George Carol Hetrick Jr. Honorable mention to Harry Carson

    ReplyDelete
  9. 54 - Randy White
    55 - Scott Sunderland, Honorable mention to Junior Seau

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dead on KME. Fine work. I waited to say so just so that I wouldn't seem creepy. Did it work?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Careful Lut, poets do creepy things to laudatory readers. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete