The Boston trip threatened to mess with my exercise schedule last week but I managed to cram most of it in. Last week completed 3wk wave. I urge you to give the suspended KB a try for squats. Good for stability, control and keeping those knees out. This week we start a new cycle in which we will use the safety squat bar, newly acquired at the Collective. This is rarefied training. The SS bar is cambered and has a yoke. The effect is you must remain stick straight throughout the movement or get your nose broken on the deck, for that is indeed where you will end up should you not stay up right. The bar insists, neigh, demands that you find your hamstrings and recruit every fiber of them while firing the mid back. Sorry for the poor pic quality. I was shaking from my PR rep. J's shin is just passing through to positive (it's a boat load of weight-those are KG's). Ideally you want the shin pointing back at you. Keep your back straight. I tapped out when the bar started to fold me over, even though I thought I could have stood more up. Don't lift ugly, lift prettyBeen working on my cast iron. Believe I finally have something nice. Secret: (lard)
If you're observing the Waldorf calendar, and why wouldn't you be, Happy Michaelmas.
So, if you're following at home: Max squat today. Come and use SS bar if you are able. Assistance: Zercher deads, Pistols, hanging L lifts, Reverse hyper, bandy good mornings. Conditioning: medium sled (240) 40yds/10 wall balls x 4
INVITING YOU ALL TO COME TO LANCASTER FOR SOME EXERCISE AND/OR good company. Truth is I don't travel right now. But if you have access to this blog, I'd love to see you. Give a ring, we'll set it up.
I love this line: "In the fall the war was always there but we did not go to it anymore."
Hem, In Another Country


Yoke - neigh. That is funny.
ReplyDeleteI will be in touch and we will find a time to pick up heavy things and do other fun stuff.
Love the variety pack of pics. Nice work on the cast iron...it breaks my heart every time I see Dad scrubbing and sometimes using brillo to clean the cast iron pans at the farm. Next use usually requires a whole stick of butter to start...
ReplyDeleteAlso, love to see your posts of workout results...as soon as I can post #'s that are higher than an 8th grade girl I will join you guys.
Back squat 5 rep max-255. Naughton, im pretty sure you will blow by these numbers pretty quickly and start putting up big numbers in these heavier workouts.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the encouragement. The 10+ year layoff and overindulgence has taken it's toll. I have faith that "Body by Potts" will prevail.
DeleteBRILLO!? Oooh that gives me the chills. BRILLO? I clean mine with the skin of a baby goat wet with butterfly tears. THe hard part is the goat kicks and butterflies are hard to make cry. They are remarkably thick-skinned. Telling them they are acting like moths usually works
ReplyDelete255 for 5 is macho. Mas macho. Im at 255 for 0
My guess is Naughton will be deadlifting 4 bills by Valentine's day. I'll be posting a pic of his "bench" soon. Wait 'til you get a load of it
Teflon fumes make me gag. For real. Not saying I dont use it, just saying i dont like it. Paleo teflon is hard to find.
Here is Pavel's ladder of power: use it. it's fantastic. take a higher skill exercise (or two). one rep, two reps, three reps. That 1-2-3 is one set. Five sets. When five sets is breezy, go to 1-2-3-4. When you get 4, go to 5. When you get 5, make the exercise harder. Ive been doing pistol progressions and L-lifts. Also HSPU and CTB pulls. Also thinking: dips/pushups. Ring pulls and dips will help chase that muscle up. Let me know how it goes, just make sure you call it "Pavel's Ladder of Power"
always only enjoy.
You're going to want to dig in a little on this cast iron thing. After using both, I'd rather eat a non-stick frying pan than cook with it save for some very specific items, like omelets. Cast iron is 100 times better and not for any conceptual reason: it just cooks better. Unless, of course, you scrub it with a brillo pad.
ReplyDeleteFor a man who prefers not to clean things, I'd think that cast iron is right up your alley. Please reconsider.
I say all of this because of how bad my squad numbers are.
Great numbers, keep it up. Just one question on your secret, how does the lard figure in with diet, calories, and cholesterol? I am easy-non stick is simple. I never did notice any fumes?? Have to check in to them. I am also going to check my Waldorf calendar, Happy belated Michaelmas to you, and show up for a visit.
ReplyDelete100 thruster Wednesday: 1pood KB's 14:36
ReplyDelete