Lettuce Wraps
LINK
Ingredients:
1-2 pounds ground or finely chopped chicken. Thigh and breast works. All thigh is tasty. All breast would be bland, I think, though I have not tried it.
1-2 tb peanut oil
big onion, chopped
couple cloves garlic
can o' water chestnuts, however you like 'em whole, sliced, chopped. I like chopped
rice vinegar
sesame oil
brown sugar
Dipping sauce:
2Tb soy
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup ketchup
sugar to taste
dijon
sriracha garlic chili sauce
head of iceberg lettuce
Method:
1. Gather ALL ingredients on countertop. Measure them out if you cook like that. Eyeballing amounts over the pan would be fine too. 2. Remove top layers of iceberg, rinse head, whack the stem out, peel carefully in to leaves, place leaves on towel to dry. 3. Heat on high, let the pan get hot. Add oil. When it shimmers like a skinny-dipper's hair in the moonlight, add onion, garlic. Sautee until going soft. 4. Add chicken. Keep the heat high. Cook until no longer rosy. If you chopped your chicken it will release a good bit of liquid/fat. You could use a slotted spoon to remove the meat/onion mix and reduce the liquid until it is like a salt on the bottom of the pan, don't burn. It's a nice touch that intensifies bird flavor and controls the wet wrap problem, but in no way necessary. (put the meat back in) 5 Add chestnuts. When they are up to temp, add a splash of vinegar, a touch of brown sugar, turn heat low and make sauce. Sauce is a totally add hoc invention, do it by taste, but remember what you do so you can do it again (or avoid it next time) 6. serve chicken mixture with lettuce cups and sauce with napkins. Make your own wrap. Eat faster than the kids, you'll get more. It's your food, anyway.
Some additions/substitutions you may want to try, or reject out of hand: 5 spice powder, chopped peanuts or cashews, mung bean sprouts, grated carrot, cilantro, scallion, chopped boiled egg, romaine, red leaf, ground pork (beef wasn't that great, but try it if you like), shitakes (right after onion).
This is week 2 of current wave. Max dead of some variety. I'll probably do a Zercher. Press conjugation very well may be reverse banded bench, which will make for some good footage. Let us know what's cooking.
I am very excited to try...the lettuce wraps...post my results once complete.
ReplyDeleteVideo says it is private!
I will definitely try the wraps. Nice going.
ReplyDeleteSomewhat of a reintroduction to working out yesterday. Even took Nate and Abby with. I would hesitate to call it a WOD, less than 2 mile trail run, but like you said, gotta start somewhere. Looking forward to more activity and more posts.
i am getting a "this video is private" thingy when i try an watch.
ReplyDeleteany help?
Sorry. Privacy issues. I think I have them ironed out. Try the LINK on the blog page. Really, the video isnt worth all the trouble, but I sorta like this direction and am eager to do a good one. Maybe Gumbo.
ReplyDeleteToday PR sumo-275. Hard assistance: rolling back good morning with safety squat bar. Front squats, pistol practice, GH raises. Then, CINDY 5pull 10push 15 squat 20min AMRAP. 15 rounds and one pull. Not unhappy with this.
as soon as my eyes uncross, i am going to go downstairs and see if we have any bag chicken. nice going.
ReplyDeletei am really looking forward to the gumbo, so get on the stick. AND, i now know to take a dramamine before watching.