Monday, October 15, 2012

bluegrass hamstrings

Went on a search and destroy mission this training session.  Target:  posterior chain.

JW and I started with a 3RM good morning with the spider bar.  Sorry no vid or pictures.  My lower back was pissed after warm up.  Lots of experimenting with technique.  I think the hardest Good AM one can do is: wide leg, big camber, safety squat bar (spider), sending the caboose way back and pushing out on the yoke handles.  I did stand up with 180 or so, but my form started to crumble around 160.  Then we stripped weight and did a few reps at 60 (kg).  The spider bar is over there in the Oly area so we end up using communist plates.


4x10 Belt squats. Worked up to 50lbs.  I did a couple narrow, couple wide.  Wide= harder.  you'll note the way my torso folds forward at the bottom.  This is to be avoided.  Really hard on the hips. Good exercise.


We were thinking some good-form/bad form deads, but JW went Kurtz on us and we ended up doing good form/bad form banded GH raises.  Worst exercise ever.  At the top it felt like some one was driving railroad spikes into my proximal hams.  To be clear:  this is too heavy.  I should have done them unweighted.  Just thought I'd give you a look at the torture.  3x8.  NB: THE NEXT TWO VIDS ARE MIXED UP.  THIRD ONE GOES HERE.  THIS ONE SHOULD BE BELOW.
Conditioning:  12x 2 dead lifts @ 60% + 25% band tension/8 KTE.  No one in their right mind would count a few of these reps. but i wasnt in a right mind, I was hypoxic.  This is part of the last round.  11:29  I called KTE's ab work and quit.  JW scorched this.  Much heavier dead (245 i think) and band and much shorter time.  Matt had a similar dead (225ish), blue band and 13 and change.  I was most challenged in the core and shoulder girdle.  Matt said his grip ran away.  JW really did not blink.   he was done and i still had 4 rounds to go.  Impressive and a bummer at the same time



5 comments:

  1. good grief, banded GH raises? I wasn't aware they needed to get harder. godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for what it's worth...
    I started Westsiding during my stint in RSA last year when my day had a pretty small gym-window in the early afternoon. you'll do best by being prepared with a plan, not lingering - rest periods should be consistent but short and don't neglect to warm-up/mobilize or do the assistance work. Sometimes stretching/lifting/WOD/core/stretch are a lot to fit in, but you can pick & choose a combo that'll work. there's no down-side to getting stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Push press 3 rep max-175.
    Front squats and doubleunders. Then a few miles of roadwork with daughters soccer team. Luckily for me i got the slow kids. Not academically

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am duly impressed. Pushed a 30 pound baby in a stroller fast speed several miles. Again, i've got nothing but am so glad you are well, Potter. Reading libra bray these days. She's quirky and good. Check out going bovine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a good (effective) version of conjugate system can be done in an hour if you will accept a couple trade offs: your conditioning will suffer, you'll have to be extremely disciplined, as Nate says, about pacing in the work out. Your goals are bigger squat, press, dead. If that's not #1 priority, I wouldn't bother. Last year I was making gains doing Westside major lifts and fashioning short wods of assistance movements. That Chan dude has a journal article/vid about this approach. I am happy to help you map it out Cope There are a few other considerations: learning weaknesses in the slow lifts, accommodating resistance (I think this could be a deal breaker for many) and mobility work. Gimme a call if you want to proceed. That goes for everyone. Id say the most important factor is what your goals are. Me, I need to get stronger and I think this is the fastest way to do it. I'm really enjoying the westside stuff and i understand much more than i did before. I think I can help. Get in touch.

    ReplyDelete