![]() |
| '65 Galaxie |
As the song faded out, DJ said Joe South (the singer/songwriter) was dead. I've become, too soon, a compulsive obituary watcher and I more or less took this news in stride. We're all gonna die some day. BUT the vividness of the memories South's voice induced became some kind of visitation. I kept teasing it all day long like a loose tooth and ended up doing a little googling. The artist Lissie has a cover of the song that my head knows is actually better than the original, but my heart melts for South's marble-mouth, authentic-sad delivery. I get the sense that his comparatively less emotive version may be a result of his actually feeling the song more or even too much and needing to keep a leash on it, lest it get away from him. Whereas Lissie's talent just clears the decks. Wildly speculative, but that's what I hear. Yeah, this is 500 words titularly about B-grade pop, but the melody is damn near irresistible. South is probably a poor man's John Stewart, and I'm okay with that. South also did that corny one about the boondocks. Spent some time there too. I now own the single, call me and I'll play it over the phone for you.
![]() |
| Trout Run, PA |
So then earlier tonight I get the song, both versions, on the computer and play them over and over and give myself a case of the goose bumps each time. The back yard on Winthrop, first time eating a green onion from the garden. Plumber neighbor melting lead in his garage. Birdie and I were in a wreck in the '65 Galaxie on the Market Street bridge, pre seatbelt (truly, the sansabelt) era, have a scar to prove it. 'Course I played the song(s) for the kids. The jaded second grader acknowledged the melody but really not enough drum or guitar for him. And, like, what games is he talking about? My two cuddle doves loved the Lissie cover and as the living room darkened with evening they kinda swayed and whirled around the living room repeat after repeat stopping now and again to peck me on the cheek and remind me to shave. Not much older than I the first time I remember hearing the song and I got all wigged out again. Hope you are haunted by a good memory.
Dynamic presses today. 9 triples on the bench. 6 singles standing.
Assistance: Standing KB presses, rolling tri extensions on a foam roller, sled rows
Conditioning: 12-9-6-3 1.5p KB/CTB pulls/clapping push ups
100 bandy pull ups
3x10 GHD sits
This post almost went a different direction, which I hint at here for your edification:
![]() |
| Got back? |




Really good stuff, potter. I remember when christopher reeve was paralyzed... our superman. I was shaken to the core. Wrote a poem about it. All good icons fall, and remind us we are human. But the music and magic goes on.
ReplyDeleteNice. Had a similar experience with “We didn’t start the fire” last week. Memories were pre-seatbelt jus the same, but my sandsabelts were hammer pants.
ReplyDeleteEight rounds for max reps of:
115 pound Hang power clean, 20 seconds
Rest 10 seconds
115 pound Push press, 20 seconds
Rest 10 seconds
We did what we thought was the workout above. Turns out, I think we cut it in half. I think. Banged out 12 HPC on the first 20 secs, which I was stoked about. Spent the rest of the time looking for the remaining oxygen in the room. Been doing too little, too long. I did manage top score for the morning.
56 total reps.