It's helpful to know the (a) tension value of a given band b/c on dynamic days the program calls for a certain percentage of straight weight and a certain value of "accommodating resistance"--weight that gets heavier in the easier (top) part of the movement. Bands and chains do this very well. Assume a 5ft length of 5/8in chain weighs 20lbs, about a pound a link. If you have different chain, put it on the scale. Make a note of the number, divide by # of links so you know many links to leave on the ground if you desire less than the poundage in an entire length. Assume bands give you the values I list below. And always remember that you're usually using two bands (one a side) so you have to double the value. If you fold the band for length or fit, of course, now thats Two bands to fight against. And those two will usually be at the higher end of the range b/c the band is already engaged, so to speak.
Left to right. Orange, the so-called "mini band": 15-20lbs. Black: "monster mini" 1/2in, 20-40lbs. Purple 3/4in 30-50 lbs. [7/8in bands are common, they come in all colors, they go about 35-55lbs] Red 1in 40-70. Small blue: 1 and 1/8in, 45-80lbs. Big blue: 1 and 3/4 in, 50-120lbs.

obviously, you want to pay more attention to width than color. Colors are very often concomitant with these weights but they are in no way universal. Spend enough time with them and you will know them by feel. Don't get too hung up on what is essentially an immeasurable value. Call it close enough and train. What's most important anyway is speed, moving the bar with power. If you're getting stuck, you have too much band or chain. Hope this helps. Your thoughts always welcome.
Housekeeping: Day 120. Feeling great, training hard. Thom McGuane has a sweet story in Sept 10 NEW YORKER. Today: 100 thrusters at #55 in 8:58. Huge jump for me. Followed it up with a good bit of ab work--hollow holds, bosu ball crunches. (yes. bosu ball and crunches and hammer curls oh my) I sense that our collective blog enthusiasm is waning, or maybe im projecting. Anybody had it yet? happy (more or less) to continue but not in an echo chamber. I already have a workout log. Very happy to have the no-posters along. Very happy. maybe just a "hey" once a month just so we/I know who's still out there. If it's just cope and CIP and me posting as my wife, I'd rather send a group email. Please advise.
Have you heard about the midnight rambler, the one you never seen before?
To be stupid, selfish and healthy are the three requirements of happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost. —Flaubert.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSorry the first version had ipad autocorrect typos:
ReplyDeleteMelissa Harrington once turned in a photography project for a class at Dickinson, that essentially featured her friends wearing couture clothing, called "it's fashion". The professor asked her to describe her artistic intent but was met with a blank look. "What do you mean? It's fashion"
She died on 9/11 stuck in the windows on the world restaurant at the top of one of the towers. She called her dad, desperate. She called her new husband who was traveling in San Francisco and left a message. He played it again on the 10th anniversary and the local paper in Massachusetts wrote a story about it.
I didn't know Melissa any better than most of our classmates and I hadn't talked to her once since we graduated and likely never would have again. And I love Grantland. But Chuck Klosterman can fuck off.
Wish i understood why Lute is pissed, but then again, glad i dont. Reason #37 why i focus on tv and less on reading.
ReplyDeleteLite day wod
6x10 backsquat
65,85,95,115,125,135
30 pulls. As many non-kip as possible
Walk laps
Light day. Could be the tallboy PBRs last night. Could be we work out a 0430. Prob both.
CJ had me start off with a set of Tabata squats to find a baseline to get me going and hopefully assist in me living past 50. The part he left out was that the 4 minutes it took to do the exercise was going to severely hamper my plans for the rest of the evening which required being upright.
ReplyDeleteI have a golf tournament tomorrow to benefit the "Make a Wish" foundation and I hope they don't think I am one of the recipients of the charity when they see me walk.
Back when I used to work out regularly any soreness would work out in a day or two...Any ballpark ideas on how long it is going to take now that I am almost 42 and have been out of the game for 10+ years? Plus a good 60lbs overweight?
Working on getting started with CJ's help and hopefully get back on track soon...
This is some of the best news yet. Yeah, youre gonna be sore for a long time. truthfully, im still sore from beginning in early august. youre gonna be sore. You WANT to be sore. Check out that mobility wod site and we'll chat about ways to make muscles temporarily extra painful, so that your baseline pain doest feel so bad. And so everyone knows: SFN went 14 on his first tabata which i though meant there was great hope for him.
ReplyDeletea swiss ball is copeland pink, and round. A bosu ball is hemispherical and cant teach anyone to dribble.
Everybody got to go.
ReplyDeleteOHS 3 rep max 145. Previous pb 135. HSPU holds, some core stuff, and DUs to round it out.
I vote for keeping up a blog. Doesnt have to be this one and i dont think you necessarily have to be the sole responsible poster. Group emails are fine too, but i think blog format is more condusive to talkiness. I dont want to go through blog withdrawal again. No blog = long work day.
Lut - stay angry.
Oh yeah- particle or wave? Both.
ReplyDelete-or on another place - Both, give me both, i want both!
I vote to keep it also.
ReplyDeleteLut...channel your anger for good
I am angry by nature a good portion of the time. I use my anger to write, fight for my daughter, stay healthy, and, occasionally, for necessary fisticuffs. Let's all be angry, because we're dancing on the deck of the titanic. Potter, i love your blog. It keeps me connected and keeps me thinking. I don't train so am sometimes quiet. I don't want to be irrelevant.
ReplyDeleteTwo deer wandered into our yard this morning. Ribs delicate and ears turning with every shift of ths breeze. Mirany speechless on the kitchen counter; a thing of beauty. And all day long: deer? Where'd it go?
hey, once a month.
ReplyDeleteBlog daily, but that is me being selfish. I'll settle for every other day. You know my high standards, keep striving. You once said-comments keep 'em coming. Glad you are feeling great, keep it up. No projection on your part. Group email is trite. Keep blogging.
ReplyDeleteWhat are we talking about here Nate? You are leaving yourself kind of open. Is it the same day each month?
ReplyDelete60 pull ups, 60 push ups, 60 sit ups, 60 squats - 16:59. Not quite where i wanted to be. Was shooting for 15.
yeah. Classy.
ReplyDelete