so give it a try: add/delete/amend/abandon/ignore (or dont try). adapt. improvise. overcome. You're an adult you can take responsibility. You can work at it. You can improve. Ask questions. Let me know how it goes. If you don't dilly-dally I think these can all be done in an hour. a huge upside in my book.
MONDAY
max effort squat. get 3 reps at 80-90%. or set a pr. Make it heavy. Change the squat variation every week. Some weeks do deads. Some weeks do good mornings (3rm) All sorts and styles and varieties. make it heavy, physically and emotionally. at least 3 reps north of 80% known pr. if you can help it try not to miss. sometimes you cant help it.
Do some assistance exercises. Address your weakness. Low back, hams, glutes, hips, mid back etc. Think: DB lunges, reverse hyper, pistols, GHD raises. Attack your weaknesses. Do it like this: 10 x intervals. 15-20 seconds work, 20-40 seconds rest. make it hard. Don't be a bodybuilder, but build your body.
conditioning: hard, fast, simple: 12min tops. sled drags. light non-stop squat cleans. sprint repeats. hard fast simple
midline: GHD, L/tuck-sit, hollow. Change it up.
TUESDAY
30 minutes of gymnastics practice. You know what gymnastics are. practice them. methodically. quit dicking around.
conditioning: rowing intervals. min 2K - max 5K
WEDNESDAY
max effort bench or overhead. Mix it up. Change the lift. Any bench, any overhead. 3 reps at 80% or above.
Assistance work: shoulders. 10x intervals, like monday but shoulders, upper back, tris.
Conditioning: 8-12 minutes: burpees, box jumps, or double unders. Or all three. see how many you can do in a period of time and then try to beat that number. Like when you stuff envelopes.
Midline: t2b, kte. pick one. 5x max UB sets
THURSDAY
rest (or rest Tues and practice thursday)
FRIDAY (pay attention)
Dynamic effort squat. The lift you did monday: do it fast with cut weight. add bands or chains if you can. Try to mini-cycle the %'s like this: 50-55-60+25% band/chain resistance. go fast build force production. 12 x 2. IN RE: the bands/chains: don't freak out if you dont have them. They're worth it, trust me, but dont spend tuition money. They're like extra 2 tbs of butter. You're still good w/o, but so much better if you do. Either way, work on being fast. Remember Louie's parable of the baseball? Throw a wiffle ball, baseball, shot put at a window. which one breaks glass? Wiffle not heavy enough to be forceful. Shot too heavy to be speedy. throw(lift quickly) the baseball (properly weighted barbell). Break glass.
Dynamic effort deads. similar weights 10 x 1. switch your grip: clean and snatch
Assistance work: like monday, but different exercises or the same ones. work hard.
Conditioning: stones, prowler or kb until gassed then 2 more minutes just to be sure
SATURDAY
rest
SUNDAY (pay attention to this too)
olympic lifts:
snatch then clean: 8-12 singles at 60-85% no more than 45 seconds rest. faster if you can. start with 12 @ 60%. Percentages go up each week, # of sets goes down. after 6 weeks, retest, use your new pr to refigure %'s start at 12 @ 60% again.
midline: GHD, HOLLOW, L-sit
Right now im at 215 squat (probably more), 175 c&J, 150 snatch, 215 jerk, 7:47 2k (maybe better). Retest in AUG. let you know. Please do send us your totals whatever they are, following along or not (control group?) and we'll see who can make some gains. Make a video, send it to me. Type out a comment, post it. The world is full of paper, write to me*
make sense? Excelsior.
Look for new content on the Ides
![]() |
| Wild dogwood |
*Agha Shahid Ali

good and fair question (that i was sorta hoping to avoid because the answer is a can o' worms. Worms i have counted, but you know worms. . . ). The answer is what i've been hunting for some time now, what i've come to believe in last 5 years of trial, error sickness health. In general a broad and inclusive fitness per the Crossfit Rx. I guess it would not be wrong to say strength biased, but in the way that real life puts a premium on strength. You gotta be strong and fast, but while strength always leads to speed, speed doesnt always lead to strength. Example: my 2k time goes down as my deadlift goes up. my deadlift doesnt go up the more C2 intervals I do. I want to be as strong as i can. I think the way to develop that is through max/dynamic effort training, olympic lifts, gymnastic/bodyweight exercise. I also want to be fit, conditioned--one must be to train heavy. But im losing my faith in the totem power of the hero workout. I want to elicit a neuro and physiological adaptation for moving "large loads long distances, quickly." I want to be good at shit that is hard to do. That's my goal. the goal talk people say thats too vague. i think the goal talk people are weird and lack real integrity. my goal is to put 5lbs on my back squat. and then 5 more pounds and 5 more...i want to train every day forever, whenever that is. it's the only way i know to contend with calamity. You've noted before how interesting we two compare (when i was in better form) and you were/are right it was good fierce competition. heavy favored me, fast favored you. the decider becomes the "events" that are perfect blends of the two, Fran, say or DU/HSPU/400. before last year, i think i was claiming more of that turf. not because i was getting faster, because i was getting stronger Remember the scaled DL/pull up wod in your garage? DL's scaled to keep it even. (I think i was sick again at that point btw) Im not making the case that you should be stronger, i making the case that we should all be stronger. and that will lead to faster if we dont throw the baby out with the bath water.. Laura Phelps, one of the strongest women in the world did her first fran in 6min. men's weight, dead hang pull ups. 6minutes. I have no idea why i sound so strident. Im not really. I mean it's interesting to me and my point of view is clear (for the moment) but it's just exercise. I guess i am just energized by the progress (in the programming) and seeing a somewhat clear path forward. I've still got a ways to go just to get back to where I was, but i see now how it might be possible. 6 mos ago, hell 3, it seemed silly to even try. couldnt do a pull up, hell, couldnt do 5 PUSH ups. only a year later could I hazard a jog. Ive started from scratch 3 times now. i dont want to do that any more.
ReplyDeleteyour 9th grader should follow xfit football. weights and wods. assuming he knows how to squat deadlift and power clean. if he doesnt he should learn. and he should drink milk and stop fast food. I can help with the lifts, but probably not more than you at this point.
Just an FYI...this blog is one of four windows that I open first thing every morning and usually check before my work inbox...really shouldn't surprise you. My current injury has had me down for quite a while and I am very much looking forward to getting my functional brace soon and at least getting back to a little upper body work and really hoping to be able to get back to 100% by the beginning of 2014. I guess what I am saying is I vote to keep the blog up and running even if there are only a few followers.
ReplyDeleteBTW nice pic...were you out hunting recently? See anything?
still blogging. No hunting. Barbaric and unethical. I just take pictures. Click.
ReplyDeleteThe inside joke (for all): I dry fired on a big tom yesterday morning. magazine full, breech empty. did 1000 things right. one thing wrong.
You shot at a cat?
ReplyDeleteBig cat....they are good deep fried.
Delete8th grade dances are awesome. Root canals are horrible. I'm confused.
ReplyDeleteI admit I'm surprised by it, but, I care.
ReplyDeleteBought a protein supplement the other day, and starting to think I might be having a midlife crisis.
Recent photos have shown a real nice attention to composition. Enjoying them.
I remember being hopeful in 8th grade, like: it can't all be like this, things will HAVE to get better.
I have much more to say than this, including, please, keep blogging, but i am short on time. Has anyone read the hours by Michael Cunningham? Stunning. And, please check out Mars hyphen 1.com[/url].I'mtalkingaboutthiswithmykidsinschool? It is crazy and real and happening. Sort of and maybe.
ReplyDeletePS: could 8th grade be worse than 7? I teach seventh and am curious.
ReplyDeletetrue story: I had a root canal in 8th grade.
ReplyDeleteHer name was Tracy Goldie. Pink fuzzy sweater that was sorta like those rings they put in bulls' noses, lead the bull around, you know, by the nose. In the back of the bus the wrestlers spit Red Man and bubble gum into empty soda cans to make weight. And we had a couple of those grip trainers to pass around, subconsciously keen, no doubt to the metaphoric possibilities. A good sweater still makes me sentimental and grippy.
red meat is the only protein supplement one needs. It might BE a crisis. try the wod "Kalsu" report back
Threadjack. New rule: Jen gets to speak for herself.
ReplyDeleteAnd for cope. Just because.
ReplyDeletecareful. cope known to pout.
ReplyDelete