Monday, May 6, 2013

can't clean the door unless you can clean the door

JZ, sometime blog troll, current resident of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and currently wrestling heavyweight for Montgomery, left in my care: '04 Yukon Denali (1)with "competition grade" sound system (1), BFN enclosed trailer (1) with 250lb drivable tailgate that is rendered less than perfectly operable (it's free swinging now) b/c said owner cut lift cables to see just how much vehicle his vehicle carrier could carry.  The trailer contains:  A 1970 Chevy (1) with a 454 big block that sounds like a deep woods bengal tiger and makes your molars jiggle when idling. 2002 Harley Davidson Fat Boy (1) sounding even better.  Expensive ass Snapping Turtle tire straps(4) wheel chocks (2) a car cover (1), sundry tools, receipts, old coffee cups, boxes and a three year old random Washington Post. (?) [But DOES NOT CONTAIN a dual-axle pickup.  Those are just too big.]  The above are located in a nice towing package at an RV storage yard in an undisclosed location close to my home in Lancaster.

I have permission from the state of pennsylvania  and the owner to ride the motorcycle and intend to do so.

SO:  go to the yard with spouse who currently deadlifts 238.  Bring along a jumble of keys big as a baby's head.  unlock, enter yard.  Unlock, enter trailer.  Chevy.  Ignition.  Fail.  No problem.  Open very heavy free swinging door, coast car out the back.  back into trailer.  Start motorcycle.  Motocycle fail.  Gosh it's hot.  Neutral walk motorcycle out.  Find jumper cables.  Jump start motorcycle with Volvo grocery getter.  motorcycle roars to hog life and makes at least one person smile.  Next jump start Chevy.  No joy.  Chevy not in the mind to jump.  Hmmm.  Impossible for one or maybe even 10 men to push Chevy back on trailer.  Spouse has work to do. And a toe to tap.  Leave neat towing package all undone, Denali blocking others' egress from park. (if you're not camping today you're not  camping today.) Drive Lancaster county backroads in GLORIOUS spring afternoon.  Seriously a day like CHROME.  Go to OTB, place losing KY Derby bets.  Ride home.  Puma Suedes and american iron, pretty much coolest thing in the time zone.  Bonus: New curly hair all mussed by the wind.

Back to the yard with a friend.  Try to jump Chevy again.  NO LOVE.  No chance of pushing it up tailgate.  New Plan:  push/move Chevy along side trailer, return trailer to slip, opening up passage to yardmates whoever they are.  24 hrs elapse.  during which Chevy owner passes along helpful tip that the starter is fussy.  Im not losing, im just behind.

Take boy to "see JZ's Chevy"  Try the Chevy with new tip from owner.  Jumps to life like Steve McQueen and tickles the boys in the front to no end.  High fives, fist bumps, country hollerin'. Whoopin and Hollerin'  Hop out, drop down trailer door. Hop in drive Chevy up the ramp.  Sit in front seat, rev engine several times, mentally account for all 454 cubic inches, think about molars shaking  Ignition off.  Everything set, out the trailer...

The tailgate.

Cant be done one-man.  Boy is willing and god forgive me i think i considered it for a flash.  NO.  NO NO NO NO.  8yr olds cannot help lift 200lb doors.  Their mothers get very angry.  DAMN.  Now what?
Dad, how many cars does Jimmy have?
I don't know a lot.
First attempt: okay grip, pop the hips, shrug, no.  No that's not gonna happen.  Tailgate back to gravel.
Dad, why did Jimmy cut the wires to the door?
He shoots first and asks questions later.
Shoots what?
nevermind
he likes to do crazy things
yeah. backwards anyway.
Dad?
Hold on, bud.  Attempt 2: more hip. better shrug.  almost get one hand turned under waiterstyle.  a glimmer.  but a fading glimmer.
Dad, it's too heavy.
You might be right.
Why does Jimmy like chevys so much
he just does
is this the two tone or the Aztec silver
what do you think?
well the chrome is silver
chrome is chrome.  paint is paint
this is the two tone.
there you go.
I thought it was De-nah-li.
what?
you say De nal ee.
do i?
dad, what's the matter?
Attempt 3:  set your back, from the low hang, big jump. to the CHIN!  Hands under "GO DAD!"
walk it home.  Lock it up, back it in.  Think about letting the boy drive home, decide against it.

Stop on the way for motorcycle battery charger.

8 comments:

  1. See? That there is what we call a blog post.

    Everybody knows its de-NAH-lee. Also, another chapter in the epic titled "cleaning up after Jimmy Z". Only this time, well, you get it..."cleaning." I spelled it out, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing JZ as I do....I feel like I was there. As useless as I would have been...I wish I was there in the land of quanity not quality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 150 decibles. That's the deck of an aircraft carrier. Half volume is too loud for human ears. It's what convinced me that hell is probably not hot, it's loud. Apparently there are throwdowns in parking lots and stadiums where people play their auto stereos and vote on the loudest. I might have a neighbor who is practicing for the show.

    today: 1rm snatch, 150pr C&J 175. 1x20 HBBS, 175. For time: 9-7-5 muscle ups,/9-7-5 (each arm) KB snatch 1.5p/300-200-100' shuttle run. (3 rounds collated MU/SN/run) 18 flat. Tabata handstand hold. 3 ME UB butterfly kip pull up 14-12-10

    Messing with programming again. Love the outlaw and if I trained by myself probably what i would do. But I have partners and doing what they're doing is important. Gonna forge our own path with: west side max and dynamic days. Short assistance work. Short xfit wods. Gymnastic skills. Rest days tues or thurs and sun. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a heck of a story. Felt like I was there.

    And it is pronounced Mc-Kin-Lee.

    Yesterday a low intensity Elizabeth. Went 15-12-9 instead of 21-15-9 #135 cleans and ring dips (is there another kind?)8 and change. Went in with low intensity plans, insufficient warm up, only had about 20 minutes after getting home from lacrosse practice to get this in and feed lacrosse playing daughter before wife and other two daughters arrived home from lax game at 9:00 at night and all kinds of chaos ensued. All done. Elizabeth, food, kids in bed, chores done, one more day in the books. today front squat 10-10-10-10-10. 115-125-135-145-145f. then a very (surprisingly very) limited number of HSPU and rock ring pull ups. Its getting warmer. I think there are some boulders calling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forget the exercise, just write all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. boulders definitely calling. Took the girls out once and broke in the crash pad. Itching to go back.

    today: 7x1 3pos snatch (low hang, hang, high hang) 105 (4) and 115 (3). 5x3 snatch grip dead w/ 3sec pause at knee. 255 big jump. 5x2 tempo HBBS 185 also a jump. Max Effort Push jerk: 215. Thought I might be able to get 185. Handstand holds paying dividends Back at you sat or sun with the new program.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, just trolling blogs as I sometimes do, I have to at least post a comment, though which one because there are so many potential ones. I am compelled to comment on the tailgate. I have to agree it is not light by any longshot. Don't stand behind it when you open the latch or it will flatten you at the speed of light. It is at least a 5,000 lb. load rated tailgate. It has been tested to 125% of that already. It is somewhat heavy duty. You can't risk driving precious cargo over some cheap, light duty tailgate, can you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy 5 RFT 400run/15 OHS #95 18:11 First time I did this a few years ago was with #65 and got 19:27, Next time was a year ago with 2 rounds of #95 and 3 rounds of #75 and got 20:13 so this was a big jump for me. But still slow. I can run, and I can OHS, I just can't run and OHS. And following Cope's math, accounting for the weight scaling's inversely proportional relationship with time and extrapolating out to #95 to calculate the differential, carry the one, and I should catch Cope sometime next fall.

    ReplyDelete