Tuesday, May 21, 2013

mo-sheen

Took a motorcycle ride Down to Willow Street to check on JimmyZ's caravan.  He asked me to grab a credit card from the glove box.  Who am I to argue?  Jimmy's Harley is currently moonlighting with another rider, yours truly.  We just had the 10K service done, replaced the battery and got a new back tire.  I say "we" did these things but I had actually very little to do with them, OR what I had to do with them were the fun and enjoyable parts.  Jimmy paid for it and the mechanics at Lancaster HD did the work. I dropped off and picked up.  The fat boy rode like a dream before, it's another, different, better kind of dream now.  And I'm not sure but I might look even cooler on it, if you can imagine.  Country roads sluicing new planted fields, gently bruised evening sky, smells of spring filling my head.  I don't know how I found my way back.

Before I did, I got to the rig in the RV yard at an undisclosed location.  I started the Denali and commenced to look for the credit card.  Thought to play some music for the search but my CD choices were: Skid Row, Ratt, more Skid Row (did you know they had multiple albums?) and Motley Crue.  In silence, I had to brave the landfill transfer station that is the cab of Jimmy's rig.  If you've ever lost a receipt, it's probably in JZ's car.  A random list of other jetsam and flotsam:  Hilti electric hand grinder.  Like, 5 lives worth of paper: wrappers, note pads, loose leaf, news, order slips, business cards (one from Sauer's Trading, South Williamsport PA.  I grew up about 6 blocks from this place.  i think they closed in the 80's) a strange combination of dental care and dental poison: toothbrushes, floss, whitening strips, appointment cards and CANDY.  Kisses, Peanut butter cups, Brach's black licorice jelly beans, cough drops.  All melted, of course.  Well, the PB cups would be if this particular brand had any real chocolate and/or PB in it (rhymes with feces).  Other stuff; I'll just leave it at that.  It's a man's truck.  Or something.  I've learned not to ask too many questions if there's a chance you might not want to know the answer.  Eventually found the card in the last place I looked: at the bottom of the center consol.  Where everyone keeps his credit cards when off in the foreign legion.

The ride back was even better because it got just a bit cooler and rolling back through the city I got to see some dude in handcuffs getting stuffed in the back of a cruiser.  The neighbors were out on stoops. The laundromat was busy, the corner store doing brisk business.  Like I said, it was a nice night.  Unless you were a dude cops wanted to visit with.

In the last seven days I've piloted an airplane and riden a Fatboy.  In the last year, add a backhoe to that list.  It's taken me way too long to be honest with myself about this:  I like engines, loud ones especially,  I like having the throttle and steering mechanism.  I like driving shit.  Too late now to do anything about it except drive shit.  i think that makes me simple and unrefined.  Im good with that.  Something oughta.  Too many tendencies the other way. Someone asked me if the plane and the motorcycle scared me.  Had occasion to really think about that tonight in the southern end of the county.  Those country smells, a hue of twilight telling of the river beneath it, though the river was not to be seen.  And I thought about it earlier in the week in the Piper, up high, banking away from the wind project that overlooks the same river upstream.  We were on a heading that followed the water.  We flew up to the Wrightsville Bridge and back again.  The yoke was mine and I rolled long loping 180's over the Susquehanna.  No.  I'm not afraid of that stuff anymore.  Heights? used to be.  Speed?  Maybe still a little, but it feels more like remembering an old emotion.  I'm not saying I'm carefree or reckless.  I've learned respect.  A healthy version.  But I'm not afraid.  I'm a lot more fearful of making mistakes with my kids.  More fearful of not living up to what I think I owe people.  Afraid of not squeezing every minute out of every day.  These things really scare me, not much else.  Of course this is a consequence of having to get ready to die.  Of course it is.  (Im not trying to pass this off as insight.)  I'm learning to like it.  Take it in stride.  I know now, and hope this helps you know too: (this is the insight) the hard part isn't dying.  The hard part is thinking about dying.  Don't think about it.  Quit thinking and solve all your problems.

24 comments:

  1. Great perspective, your candor is uplifting....However, it does make me a little sad that my hog is gone and on the other hand I want to buy a box of garbage bags and come down and clean out Jimmy's stereo on wheels...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! I have been waiting a long time for the mood of this blog to go from pull-ups and burpees, to lead sleds and flying machines. Kind of feel like we are about to reverse rolls. Boy, do I have a lot to teach/show/tell you about. Donuts, and wheelies, and four wheelers, and burnouts. Well, clearly someone knows about burnouts if you are replacing a rear tire at 10k. ok, ok, ok. Slow down. This is all happing so fast. Sooo, when are you coming to NC, cause bitch, we got motors.

    On a serious note, I had a blast in PA this weekend. I also left with a little something. A little something other than a hangover, a limp and a trailer full of Abby’s stuffs. Man, you’ve caught another gear. I noticed it, I liked it, I am so happy for you. It made a serious impression, prompted a discussion and has led to a re-evaluation. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I need to hook up and have a drink, shoot guns and take a four wheeler ride....I understood every word in your post. I struggle with some of these other flatlanders lingo...

      Delete
    2. Roger. I have plenty of spare room and even plentyer of whiskey. Just give me a head count and the four wheelers will be lined up.

      I have tried to get Nathan to buy an ATV. he said he would rather spend that much money on traveling.

      Uhhhh, are you not traveling on a four wheeler?

      Delete
    3. Nothing like traveling 60 mph on a wheeler across an open field chasing a deer with half a jag on...or a full jag!

      Delete
    4. It counts as a tractor if it's diesel. If it's gas it's just a riding mower. If you can get it going more than 20mph I'll allow 4 wheeler status.

      Delete
    5. but the jag-ed deer chasing should still work. You wont catch that many.

      just realized how funny the term "weed whacker" is

      Delete
  3. Yes. Perhaps I over -identify with mirany, but her death is my own, and i have faced it. Do unto me what you will; i will live, for now, because she does. Nothing can touch that. Ride your motorcycle, Potter. Fly. Sure, you should. Bravest person I know. Damn strong too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to not say something, Sarah--what can anyone possibly say--but I don't want your post to sit in quiet. Two of the only things I know are that I'm a mother and that when my parents' boy died, they went with him. Over-identifying would be an impossibility in this case. I do think and will think of you and your beautiful fire-girl.

      In the dark times, will there also be
      singing?
      Yes, there will be singing.
      About the dark times.
      Brecht

      Delete
    2. no, nothing can touch that.

      Delete
    3. KME (kelly?) Thank you, thank you. I feel that too often i relate potter's experiences to mirany, and that feels self-centered and weird. It's just that both hit me in a raw and similar place. Wish i could meet you-- hell, all the people on this blog. Good people, good minds, good souls. And potter: i envision mirany half as strong, searching and wise, and half is enough by much. Very inspiring. I take strength from your journey.

      Delete
  4. CJP you had me til the last line (sentence). Which was a joke right?

    Whitening strips is the nugget for sure, but you already know that of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh, nope. honest and sincere. Which, is there a wider gulf than between perceived joke and not-meant-as-a-joke? eh, sorry I lost you. Straight out of the Tao Te Ching. I believe it is cogent, but how would the joke go? b/c that's more interesting to me now. like snarky or ironic? Jesus didn't laugh and Buddha wasn't facetious. But id stand still for some ridicule if it made ya'll laugh. Unless it's from Nate, that just won't do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think jesus laughed. Think of the company he kept---

      Delete
    2. The joke I guess woulda been that line against everything I've ever read of your hand, that is, line after line after line after year after line of you: thinking. Cause that's what you do. What do I know, but I figure you bored cold if it's any other way. But sure, I'm open to debating interps of what that--stop thinking--means.

      Then riding around making big noises in the dark.

      Delete
  6. Well, have to comment. Why not the blog and comments get better every day! Keep it up. Jokes, poking fun, religion, four wheelers, drinking, and weed wackers. God Bless America!
    Potter I have to thank you for the insight-great honesty and sincerity. I think a lot. I have a lot of time to think a lot. I thought I knew a lot and reading this reminded me of just what I do not know. A coworker told me once 'you don't know what or how much you don't know'. That was hard to comprehend for me at first until I thought about it and then realized its meaning.
    Some other miscellaneaous comments: Potter/KME I do not recollect whitening strips on the inventory list of the console, but may be some. Dentist must have given to me. KME do not give any ideas about riding in the dark and waking up the neighbors. I am sure they are thrilled over the Fat Boy in the neighborhood. I am analytical. I will stop thinking when I am dead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah. two kinds of thinking. More of one, less the other. I'd be embarrassed how much I enjoy my own mind, but I enjoy it too much. Mind is rather like a bench grinder (an original simile, try not to swoon): you can feed it good bar stock and make a shiv to protect you in the prison yard or press a rock into it and burn it up. more knife making, less rock filing. Not supposing this was lost on anyone, least of all KME, but since the mic was open...

    and i just want to say this one more time: competition-grade car stereo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unrelated to jesus, stereos, or redemption : about a week ago, i gave up dairy and gluten. I had a shitty sinus infection and wanted to feel less congested. Previous to this, i had pain in my hips--- searing, burning pain to the point i had to acknowledge a trip to the doctor was necessary. Now, i am pain free and sleeping through the night for the first time since mirany 's diagnosis. Not preaching, just saying. Thoughts?

      Delete
    2. gluten a known inflammatory. Dairy too, if you don't tolerate it. The effort to avoid gluten has likely led to fewer grain-carbs which metabolize as sugar, another, maybe the worst inflammatory. What you did fits our model nicely. Experiment. Take out, put in. What changes? Gooder is gooder.

      This should not be overlooked, however: You've been through a metric shit-ton. That might settle in strange ways. You're still post-trauma. You'll even out. You did the hard part. That sounds glib, but I don't mean it that way at all.

      Delete
    3. That is well said, Potter but the truth is we are all post trauma. Our world is trauma. Every day. No?

      Delete
  8. is it just me or is this a kind of awful sentence?--"You can tell when someone is missing internal rotation in their shoulders because they struggle to achieve an externally rotated position and cant lock out their elbows." I don't even blink at pronoun/antecedent # agreement anymore, but it doesn't engender confidence. And I'll be the first to say that I may have faulty or incomplete understanding of terms, but shouldn't the prose instruct me? I'm still a huge fan, even disciple, but many of the sentences in BASL could be a little more supple.

    The web-site I thought was flawless until today's episode with the Sweatt's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I laughed, I cried, I learned, all before I finished my coffee. What some of the people on this blog have endured and conquered is beyond my comprehension. I can only hope that when my time comes, whatever challenge I am presented, I will face it half as well as you all have.

    Enough emotion for a Sunday morning. I'm going to work on my mobility while my eggs are cooking, eat them with an avacado, then cut the grass. You people haven't affected my life at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you weathered Riggs as a big brother rather admirably.

    ReplyDelete