Tuesday, November 20, 2012

See the man, "Huggy Bear"

Hola, amigos.  I know it's been a long time since I rapped at you but shit has gotten off the hook.  The volvo needed new spark plugs and you know those things are platinum.  Had to melt the weddin' band down to keep the fam damily on wheels.  Since my last communique I knocked down a bruiser 8-point, began chasing an 8-min/2K on the rower and a few other things I will try to fill you up on.  In on.  In on.

The bruiser:  I knew he was out there.  A nice scrape line, rubs thigh-high on some pretty thick trees and some early morning grunting that was down low on the register.  Last morning there were deer everywhere and rutting hard.  Passed up a 5-point and a half-rack 3 hoping for my chance.  Around 8am  I heard what had to be either a buck or a man stomping in behind me.  He sneaked right in underneath my stand and at first glance I had him for a six and was doubtful I would shoot.  I was hooked up and at half draw.  Got a better look at his antlers--the first peek was straight down on top of him--and saw a brow tine.  OK, 7point, good size.  Full draw.  Had to let him get farther out for the shot I wanted, which was a first.  Usually, you're hoping they come in closer.  At about 15yds I let fly and it wasn't too steep.  Both lungs, didn't go 20yds.  Wasn't til I got to him that I saw he was a  full legitimate 8, lots of meat, several pounds of which we have already eaten.  I've read where natives said a prayer over hunted deer.  Seems right.  Also a bumper sticker that said vegetarian is Algonquin for bad hunter.  Glib, but hard to argue with.  A really terrific archery season.  Feel lucky to have done it.  If you dig meat from the hunt which is what venison translates to, let me know and I will see you get some.  Sharing is always fun.

8min/2K:  Had to get real about what my goals are/should be.  A 7min/2K is a terrific feat and nothing you can bumble your way into, but ironclad, inescapable logic says the 7min rower will also and first be able to row an 8min/2K.  Don't bother with Finnegan's Wake if you couldn't get though Ulysses.  So I put myself on the 8min ladder and have been working my way down (up?)--the intervals go down, the time and distance go up.  Tonight I was a whisker off from 2, thousand meter pieces at rate (2:00/500m) with 30 seconds rest.  The heart is willing, the mind weak.  There is no pain like C2 pain.


Nate and I finally got off our duffs and poked around the Governor Dick Park bouldering areas.  Hard to say just what a find it is.  Nate was equal to a couple of the routes.  I was good for exactly one, a V0 (yeah that's a zero) deal that had a challenging little knee maneuver that Nate figured out.  Listen, if the bouldering thing holds any interest for you, Governor Dick is pretty much El Dorado.  Chamonix to skiers, Yellow Breeches to fly fishers, Utah to candidates named Romney.  Grab your chalk bag, shoes and crash pad.  Give a call we'll set it up.  Twenty minutes from my front porch.  So too is a known Pagan hideout, but that's another post.

Finally, had a good check up Mon.  Got to catch up with Sarah, Scott and Mirany who is now in perfect health.  Stayed with Rick and Debbie and got to see a Beechcraft hanger with Adeline who was a faithful companion throughout a long trip.  Wishing you all a good holiday.  Check back next week, I'll try to be better about posting.  As ever, keep us informed of your loads, reps, rounds, times and exploits.  AMF

1 comment:

  1. Talk to me about bouldering. Shoes and chalkbag are on a hook by the door.

    ReplyDelete