It can't be taught, but I'll try—for you: it's all sound and fury, without meaning. Which is totally funny: gag's on us. And it's gonna end. You're gonna die. And that's crushingly sad because, yeah, its only sound and fury but it's all we got. And, but like your death won't mean anything either. That's Funny and sad at once. It will seem like it does or should mean something, your death, but it doesn't. It won't. Not to you anyway. WOMP WOMP. Next contestant. It doesn't mean anything except what you make it mean. Wanna make it mean god? Go ahead. Make it mean god. There are worse things you could make it mean. Like stuff or money or yourself: stupid fucking vanity, arrogance, hubris, selfishness. Those would be terrible things to make it about, but plenty of people do, have. It's your hourglass, you know the way these things work, right? Sand leaks through the pinch-point. You can't see the top, above the pinch. You can only see the bottom, the sand that's accumulated. But you're on the clock. Make it mean something. That's the job. Make it mean something. Ever seen a Buddhist sand painting?
There's probably something wrong with the culture or our collective upbringing or just us since we make the culture and raise ourselves. Something wrong that you gotta go half your life to figure this out. Or maybe it's me. Maybe I'm the defective part. I don't care. I like that it's flawed or broken or whatever. Or I am. It needs work. I need work. I'm a fixer-upper. The demo is done, torn down to the studs, a good plan, a good crew, plenty of money, awesome decorator. It's gonna be great. It just might take a while. These kinda projects always do.
See that right there is what you call a mixed or better yet tortured metaphor. Evidence of its larger point, however. (things need work, there's always room for improvement, work on them) Which is kinda cool, tortured but self-fulfilling. I'm letting it stand. I can't really talk about it any more. I've got too much work to do.
The joy and fulfillment I've known in the last two years are beyond expression. Thinking about it makes my nose run. A lot of that has to do with the simple fact that I'm here typing to you. I know: it's not even that simple a fact, but it's true, I'm here. A lot of it has to do with the people out there (you) that read this blog or maybe don't really read this blog anymore or never read or will ever read, but are nevertheless my friends, the people in my (and their own) meaning-making exercises. I want you to know that: that you're responsible for my survival and my joy and fulfillment. I am completely ready to die. I know that sounds like melodramatic or maudlin or too something, but that's how it is (not melodramatic or maudlin, just ready). I don't want to (die) but I could. And I've never felt freer or more at peace. Or more grateful. Or more fiercely in love. Did you know love could be fierce. It can! Raah. (that's a tiger noise. a love tiger). I wonder how could it possibly get any better and then the next day comes, better somehow. Don't know when the sand expires. Could be sooner in my case--must stay honest about that—but damn, there are no bad days because even the bad days are good days. really really good.
Just imagine if someone told you to write a poem. Write a poem, a good one, it will be the most important thing you can do with your life. It will be the meaning of your life. It'll be good for you, define you and good for those around you and this is what you should do: write a poem. Give it all you got. This is the key, the poem. Okay? Okay, got it. Poem. Check.
Except, what's a poem? That was me. Embarrassing but true. I'm still so far. Oh, golly. So far from the man, the person, I want to be. But now I know what a poem is. I know the person to be, work at being. I know what meaning is and how to try to make it. You probably do too. Hell, you've probably known all along. You coulda clued a brother in...but don't sweat it. I'm here now. Start the party. Sorry I am so late. I'm a slow learner. A late bloomer. Late to my own funeral. Late to my own (birthday) party.
| the finger pointing at the wave is not the wave |
Raah.
ReplyDeleteYeah...Raah...
ReplyDelete"the finger pointing at the wave is not the wave..." it's to get in the proper love tiger stance?
ReplyDeletevery fun reading again. couldn't be happier you're around to be writing.
square your hips brah, that's how you tip, not slide. see you soon
Happy two year birthday. Great to read with tears and laughs. I needed that today. Thanks. You just can't be late to the airport.
ReplyDeleteWow. Just cruised through some back rooms on the ipad. Whats this? Action on the blog? Wow.
ReplyDeleteGlad to see this. Hope to see you in a day or so in Caroline.
So, my recent surfing story goes…..
Too windy to fish. Family on the beach. Please, please come with us. Ok. Surf shop. Rental board. I got this. I used to be good at this. Not as strong in the core as Nate would recommend, but I got this. Long sandy walk. Shirt off, flops off, on the towel. Scan the beach. Surfers out. Cool. Can I do this? Goddamn right I can. I’m CIP. It’s just floating fast, on something that floats. How hard can it be? Walk to the water. Foam on the feet. College girls on the right. College girls boyfriends on the left. Seems ok. Velcro thingy on the ankle. One last survey, like Hasselhoff would. Not sure what I am checking, but I am checking. Two more steps forward, board anchored to ankle. Stiff wind. Board launched. Leg follows. Burning sensation in groin. Really burning. Slow painful walk back to flops and towel and beers.
Turns out, It’s never too windy to fish.
Potter, I shared an earlier post of yours with my students--grabbing the golden ring (three times!) It really got them. Or they really got it. Which I knew they would, but lots of people might be skeptical, like, "Seventh graders think about death?" Sure they do, they think about lots of stuff. They're pretty amazing, actually. So I wanted you to know that we just wrapped the year with a Literary Food Festival. Find a food that connects to something we read and describe the connection. Make it obvious or subtle, serious or silly. Several students brought in food as a tribute to your writing. Life Savers for golden rings. Fried dough for a carnival atmosphere. Cupcakes in painted horse colors with lollipops in the middle to represent the pole you hang onto before reaching for the ring. You tell an adult your friend survived leukemia (twice) they make a weird nose or say oh in what's meant to be a sympathetic way and look away. You tell kids and they get right in it, they pull for you, they make cupcakes and they reach for the ring.
ReplyDelete