Good friend of mine, a mason of very great talent, is stacking the bricks around a million dollar home out in the county. The neighborhood is thick, green and lush with arbor vitae, chemically treated lawns and young moms making a sport of stroller pushing. In-ground pools, underground electrical hookups, service vans in the driveways. The job is on a corner lot, carpenters and plumbers inside, masons out. Some of the masons enjoy spectating the sport of stroller pushing. The owner of the place is a doughy Italian straight out of a mob movie, track suit, accent and everything. He even knows something about masonry, (brick face and stucco!) just enough to make himself a nuisance. The brick on this job are all 12" which is like the tall-boy or pounder or 16-ouncer of brick. The bond (that's a mason's word for the pattern the bricks make) is a very attractive pairing of sorts that suits the longer brick. The corners should start with common 8" bricks but the doughy Italian insisted on 12's, no one knows why, except he is buying the bricks.
Up until the day I arrived, the laborers, not to say craftsmen, were some Amish boys. They were referred to as round-hat wearing mother-fuckers because they did not possess the same skill as their English counterparts and were costing the job time. I found this curious as it seemed to me one of the stereotypes for the sect (among others less pleasant) was that they were artisans or at least handy. "Maybe with barns or something. This here is a house with electricity," it was explained. The Amish had committed fireable lapses in performance, but their father owned the hydraulic scaffold. They were not present this day, which is one of the reasons I was.
A mason tender is sorta like a valet but not so well dressed. The tender does all the tasks that will keep the mason on the wall, plying his craft. The most important rules are: don't splash the wall. Don't splash the men. These can be distilled into the tender's commandment: don't splash. Other tasks include carrying stacks and stacks and stacks of bricks. A stack of 12"s goes about 90 lbs., shoveling mortar (masons call it mud) into the work trays. A shovel of mud probably goes 40 lbs but takes about twice that force to remove from a big tub of it. Pick this up, move it over there. Cutting bricks on a giant masonry chop saw. Because my buddy's working speed is about twice that of a hard, fast worker, he sets his chop saw up on the ground so that to use it you have to kneel in front of it like you're making a prayer. You are actually, to keep your fingers. Every time I prayed to the chop saw, someone from another crew would come up and watch, adding to my anxiety over ruining a 12 inch brick. When the saw spun down they'd give me some instructions regarding the job site. I said okay a lot and laughed coarsely when they said shit like "havin' fun yet?" or asked me if I'd seen the woman with the stroller.
The other thing a mason tender does is take guff from masons. Guff for standing around, for mixing the mud too wet, for mixing the mud too dry, for not mixing the mud, for letting the mud boxes get too low, for filling the mud boxes too high. It doesn't really matter if these offenses are actually committed, the tender takes guff for them anyway. The upside is you get to hear stories about the working life of masons: The time there was no work. The time so-and-so's fingers got cut off by the scissor lift. The time dude had a bucket of sand dropped on him from three stories. The time there was no work anywhere. When the boss fell off scaffold. The new guy had his wall section torn out brick by brick by the foreman. Once when no one had any work and we rode our motorcycles to the union hall in the rain. The time a line of fifty dollar bills was clothes-pinned to the the top of the wall, waiting for a crew to brick their way up and claim them. The day we did 800 brick. 900 brick. Put up a Target warehouse in 10 days.
I wish had a skill nobler than taking guff. A trade, I mean. I'm always a little ashamed at myself around men that do high-skill physical work. Like I'm wearing silk underthings and someone's bound to find out. I offered to run the mixer and make up a new batch of mud. (why the boxes were low, for pete's sake) Sand, mortar, water. I've made waffles before. The mason gave it some thought, said maybe next time, he didn't want to risk jamming the mixer. would've called him a dick if I wasn't so damn impressed by the way they use a trowel. I pointed out the stoller babe making another lap and earned a couple points.
Four- five hours tops. Dirty, hungry, happy that I did not embarrass myself. No more than usual anyway. My buddy asked me what I had lined up for the rest of the day. A wave of shame splashed over me. I'd planned on going to the gym, but it sounded so callow, puerile, silly in my head. "Exercise," I said. "You know, fake work."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am a firm believer that "guff" is what makes mental muscles. There is no better learning experience than learning by fire from a bunch of guys that have already forgotten more than you'll know. I think you should have stuck it out for a week...did they make fun of you for wearing gloves?
ReplyDeletewho said anything about gloves?
ReplyDeleteNobody did....real mason's don't wear gloves...your not a mason
DeleteNothing like the stories I have heard of you two at CS. Hey there's a slogan for a cool work out t-shirt: Real men work. Others exercise.
ReplyDeletesays the guy who watches all the work from his air-conditioned cab.
DeleteI like to think if teaching as a trade or vocation. Certainly, it is for me... here is the exact email I got from a parent (whose first language is english ) last week: why did my son revive 50/100 on hw assign he wired verrry hard. I wanted to respond: That's why, bitch.
ReplyDeleteI meant to add: She did the assignment for him. Thus the concern.
ReplyDeleteI should have been a teacher. Work a five day work week, work nine months out of the year, and have summers off to do whatever. Sarah they had summer break on their mind not verry hard to see that! Come on he is an under achiever, he is in the 50% club. He got half of them correct. Talk about taking some guff from a parent, it is just work!
ReplyDeleteHm. Actually, my point was, as a writer and an English teacher, I still have sort of a tiny soft spot for coherence in language. Not really sure where the hours or days I work are particularly relevant. But sure, I bet you'd be a great teacher. Give it a whirl. By the way, when's the last time you made five presentations in one day? Oh --and your audience are 11 and 12 year olds
Delete--25 to a class room. America was founded on the ideal of public education, and the number of people willing to jump through the ridiculous bureaucratic hoops and take part in it for the right reasons, not for copious vacation time and benefits, people like me who believe in the system and believe in the kids, are few and far between. But you're right, it's almost summer vacation, I'm just a public employee slopping at the trough, why should I mind when a kid with potential lets his mom do his homework and doesn't like the consequence?
DeleteOh, and while I'm at it, and really f****** pissed, I get nine weeks off. And, I don't get paid.
DeleteGood job Jim....do you really wonder why you are single?
DeleteNice. I am always stunned, and pissed, at how much of an art trades like that can be. My dad is an artist with a welder. I, on the other hand, can’t even “eye ball’ bolt head sizes. I was on a logging job the other day. Busted hydraulic hose.
ReplyDeleteJamie “grab me a wrench, open faced”
Snake “what size?”
Jamie (looks at me while he calculates in his noodle and waits for me to affirm) “9/16th’s ?”
Cip (nod)
I was happy that he said 9/16th’s. Had the conversation had one more second of lull, I might have said in a panic, “7/11th’s.” You would be surprised at how hard it is to come up with an actual wrench size at the snap of a finger, let alone an accurate call. Witchcraft.
And yes, dudes name is Snake. Nate has met him.
Wow I got a response from two people. SFN, there are real, actual reasons so I do not wonder. I have to comment on my earlier comment for some saving grace. English is my first language. I am learning everyday how difficult it is to communicate with people where another language is their first language and there is a lot of grammar loss in translation from English to other languages. I have not given many presentations to 11 or 12 year olds recently. I admire and applaud those that choose to teach as their profession. I chose differently. My point on the teacher work week/schedule was really a generalization, irrelevant to your comment Sarah, more directly reflecting on me as I work 6-7 days a week and countless hours. God Bless you and your belief in the system and God Bless America. Please keep the faith. I guess this reaffirms why I never understood why parents help their kids with homework.
ReplyDeleteSnake has to be the dude's name for a reason.
Jesus, no, this is terrible. The kid speaks English, the mom speaks English, no slight against foreign speakers intended. I was just trying to make a point: we are losing the coherence, rhythm, and dignity of our every day language. That is all. And yeah, I get it, public school is a shit hole, in some pretty fundamental ways. But it's my shit hole, and you pissed all over it. But you seem like a good guy, and I'm sorry I jumped all over your shit.
DeleteJames, Don't forget your presentation to Wyatt on Roethlisburger's sex crimes. That one was well received, thank you again.
DeleteTrust me, Sarah, everyone else understood you. Jim thinks English teachers are overvalued until he needs someone to proof his resume
Snake drives a scooter to work, with a stihl chainsaw on the back, one way, everyday. I feel like that is reason enough to be called snake.
ReplyDeleteI once told my wife, and extended family who all work in public schools, that teachers were overpaid and could not be fired. I ate thanksgiving at the kids table. Godspeed JZ.
*17 miles one way
ReplyDeleteIt is just amazing how I am misinterpreted by both adults and kids sometimes. Sarah take all the slight against foreigners you want, as I have recently met a few that warrants it but I am a professional and leave it at that. Save the true stories for an off the record conversation. Please do not lose the faith in the English language. A ray of sunshine for you is that I can assure you in Saudi Arabia, it is hard to believe, but everything is in Arabic AND English. Crazy how English is present in a foreign country. I think though some Americans take the English for granted and thus adds to your dilemma. Keep believeing in the system! No apology needed. CJP, you know me,and you do not forget anything, so when I need something right, I want an expert doing it for me. Good leadership by delegating tasks is path to success.
ReplyDeleteCIP I bet that Thanksgiving dinner was more fun than the rest of your family at the adult table.